Plexi glass for a shower pannel

Old 08-10-12, 06:00 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plexi glass for a shower pannel

I am doing a walkin shower and need a pannel above my knee wall
roughly 25 x 42 and for 3/8 glass they want to charge over 500.00 why can't i do it in plexi? Where can i get it and would i install it the same with brackets?

Help

Old 08-10-12, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It won't meet code...it will scratch and haze over time....it will be extremely flimsy.

Check a few more places....that price sounds pretty high to me, unless it includes some sort of track or hardware.

Old 08-10-12, 07:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You can do it in plexiglas, but you'll have to use thick plexi as well since the thin stuff will flex too much with you. You'll probably have to go to Snellville or Athens to find a supplier, although some hardware and big box stores sell sheet goods.

Old 08-10-12, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Larry...I may be wrong...but pretty sure it has to be tempered glass...doesn't it? I know plexi is stronger...but when it does break...like it almost always does around holes drilled it it...it will cut you like a razor.

I haven't seen any of those shower doors from the 60's with plastic panels in years and years.

Maybe Lexan....but that would cost a ton.

Old 08-11-12, 05:28 AM
Oh, I would go with nothing but tempered glass on a project like that. And you are right, plexi will scratch. The thicker glass won't tend to shard like the thin stuff. And hopefully the OP isn't drilling into it, but using it as a solid panel. Lexan is much $tronger. The price quoted for the glass was too high, IMO. They are located between two markets, so they have an array of places to choose from in each direction. Hopefully they can settle on a good product. Thanks, Vic.

Old 08-11-12, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Depending on it's location it (Plexi) might be allowed. I don't know if they changed the code but if the bottom of the glass/Plexi is above 60" it might be allowed. But as like everyone has pointed out Plexi will scratch very easily and it loves to accumulate mineral spots from the water. Hard coated polycarbonate (Lexan) is an option but it is not cheap and probably close enough to what you might pay for tempered glass that I'd just go for glass.

Is you knee wall built already? If not you might find a piece of heavy tempered glass that that a glass company has lying around. Like a piece that was made or ordered wrong for another job that you could get cheap. Then make your opening to fit the glass.

Old 08-11-12, 05:59 AM
I "accumulate" things. OK, I admit it. BUT, I do as Dane suggested and build openings for things that fit glass I have on hand to save clients money. It's a great idea.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: