finish around a bath/shower insert

Old 08-27-12, 06:46 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
finish around a bath/shower insert

I have a bath with a tub/shower insert with regular door trim around the edges of the insert. This looks like what you would think and I would like to know of ideas on how best to replace the trim with what ever should be there instead of what is there. How are these inserts usually finished around the edges?

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Old 08-27-12, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Not sure of what you are describing.

Pictures will help us better help you.

Old 08-27-12, 10:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Old 08-27-12, 11:36 PM
T
what?

I don't understand. What is your reply to my question?

Old 08-28-12, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
We really could use a pic or two so we can see what you see before we can give any good advice. Otherwise we would just be guessing as to what the fix would be.

Old 08-28-12, 06:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Just to be overly clear, lawrosa asked you to provide some pictures to help us understand what you are seeing and marksr provided you a link which shows how to make pictures available for us to see.

Old 08-28-12, 09:06 AM
T

I will attempt to supply some pictures but the question was " How are these inserts usually finished around the edges?"

Pictures to come of what I currently have if possible.

Old 08-28-12, 09:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
It's hard to answer your question without seeing your actual situation. Hopefully you can trust that we're going to be more comfortable giving you information once we see what you have as we'll have more assurance it's the right answer that way.

Old 08-28-12, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Not sure of the inserts you speak of. Are you talking about the wall surround? They usually just lock togther to each other and the base.

This is why pics are very helpful.

Old 08-29-12, 04:25 AM
T
bathroom inserts

Lets forget about my situation and address this issue from a different perspective.

If I were installing a new bathroom insert, How should the edges of the insert be finished? Do you simply apply caulking to the edges? Do you apply some sort of plastic or wood? Do you simply leave the edges exposed? How should the edges of the insert finished?

My situation is irrelevant since all I want to know is how to finish the edges of the insert. I'm considering replacing the entire insert but would really like to know how the edges are to be finished or what to do for a finished look.

I hope this explains my request adequately and appreciate any help I may receive.

Old 08-29-12, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you are talking about the flanges of the shower/tub unit, you apply sheetrock over the flanges. I like to install 1/4" lattice on the face of the studs on the top of the shower unit and sides to bring out the "wall" to the flush face of the flange. That way you don't have a gap behind the sheetrock when you install it.
If you are replacing the one you have, now do it like yours is now. You will see how it is done when you take the old one apart.
NOTE: This advice was given not knowing what your present situation is and how your present tub is installed. The other pros were asking you to help us to help you by furnishing pictures of what you have now, so we can tell you how to put in the new one. Good luck with the install. If you decide to post pictures, we'll continue.

Old 08-31-12, 09:35 AM
T
pictures?

Name:  bathinsert1 002.jpg
Views: 50781
Size:  11.3 KBName:  bathinsert1 001.jpg
Views: 62740
Size:  14.3 KB

I tried to attach pictures using the image insert function above I hope it worked.

Old 08-31-12, 10:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think I've ever seen anyone trim around the tub surround like that before. I'm guessing the flange at the perimeter of the surround is on top of the drywall instead of behind it. If that's the case, it would be difficult to eliminate the trim Usually the drywall gets finished right up to the surround and then caulked.

You should be able to better fit the wood, caulk and paint it. You might could use a tile border in place of the wood but I'm not sure how well that will look either.

Old 08-31-12, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
I have a bath with a tub/shower insert with regular door trim around the edges of the insert. This looks like what you would think and I would like to know of ideas on how best to replace the trim with what ever should be there instead of what is there. How are these inserts usually finished around the edges?
Oh!!! Now your original post makes sense. We probably could not envision it because we have never seen that done before. Odd, but possibly one of the carpenters have seen this.

Marksr is probably correct that they put the surround right on top of the drywall. What to put there, I am not sure.

Possibly chandler has some ideas. If he is not on now, he will respond later.

Old 08-31-12, 03:01 PM
HERE!!! Yeah, novice installation at best. They installed it over sheetrock, which by now is probably not in the best of shape behind the shower walls. They adapted pretty well with the trim, I just don't know where they got it. It is an odd installation.
Shower units are placed against studs and fastend. Sheetrock is brought down over the flange.
SO to answer you question point blank, you DON'T finish the edges of the insert, except by bringing your finished wall over it.

Old 08-31-12, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Larry, would you advise removing the trim and just sheet rock those three walls? This way the rock is over the lip?

I would assume it does not make at difference at this point other then looks.

Old 08-31-12, 03:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO that would be too much work. I'd be inclined to work on getting wood trim to fit tightly to the tub and caulked to both the tub and the wall. I'd also oil prime all 4 sides of the wood to make sure it's well protected in case any water gets to it although the paint and caulk by itself should be enough protection.

Old 08-31-12, 05:13 PM
If this were presented to me as an ugly fix, I would combine both methods. Sheetrock over the left and back walls, and the front wall out to about an inch past, all the way to the floor on that one. Then, fabricate a wood trim on the raw edge of the sheetrock as Marksr said.
The only reason I would stop it at that point is once it reaches a door frame, your jamb won't work, unless you do a jamb extension. You KNOW there's a door there. However, if not, then sheetrock it all and finish the walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: