Question on Caulking Around Bathtub

Old 08-27-12, 09:49 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on Caulking Around Bathtub

I used Loctite Polyseamseal Tub & Tile Ultra Sealant (White Acrylic Latex with a Silicone additive) purchased at Lowes to caulk around the outside base our bathtub; we have a ceramic tile bathroom floor. I put it down Saturday morning and today it is firm but still tacky (rubbery). It wasn't old, but it did rain outside all that day so the humidity was high. Two Questions: Did I use the right caulk for the job (can it be used for inside the tub AND the outside base)? How long does it usually take to harden under the conditions mentioned?

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-27-12, 09:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not familiar with that particular caulk but caulking in general isn't supposed to dry rock hard. It stays somewhat soft and flexible so it will stay adhered to both sides when there is any movement [like filling the tub with water] If it dried hard [inflexible] any movement would cause the caulk to fail.

Old 08-27-12, 10:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'm just checking because I've read that it could take acrylic latex caulk from 3 days up to 2 weeks to cure under humid conditions. And, there are so many different types out there, I wanted to make sure using an acrylic latex "Tub and Tile" caulk was good for both in the tub and around the base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: