Cultured Marble Shower Floor Pan Cracked/Glaze Peeling

Old 09-11-12, 06:42 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cultured Marble Shower Floor Pan Cracked/Glaze Peeling

I have a cultured marble shower floor "pan" that was cracked when we moved into this house and since the glaze has started to peel.
I would like to know if the shower floor can be sanded and reglazed or would I need it replaced.
Would the cultured marble walls have to be removed to replace the flooring? I seen a company that puts a liner down over the old shower floor and it looks great but...do the cracks indicate a more serious problem? I have a slab foundation and the house was built in 2003. If two of the marble panels were removed (one side is a bench seat) could the old shower floor be removed and a replacement slid into place and new walls installed?

Old 09-12-12, 12:02 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It may be possible to repair the floor but you would need a company that specializes in marble unless you can rent the proper machine & disc. As far as I know, you can't sand it the way you would with other materials.

Old 09-12-12, 12:05 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I would also be curious about why it cracked - if that is an issue which is not resolved, your efforts may be in vain.

Old 09-12-12, 02:26 PM
M
I really don't know why it cracked, it was cracked when we moved in...but we did have an earthquake and the slab beneath the house literally rolled.
A thought occurred to me today, on youtube I seen a dealer tell about putting on a liner over the cracked marble shower floor and I thought, what the heck, formica (no) or a thin sheet of white plastic with contact cement neatly fitted and siliconed... There has to be something other than a $4,000 shower replacement.

Old 09-13-12, 03:01 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The earthquake could certainly be the reason for the crack. You can put a plastic pan on top of it, if you want a cheap way to repair it.

Old 09-17-12, 05:29 PM
M
Well, I had a guy come by today that works for the company that installed the shower and he said the cracks in the shower floor were the result of leaks where it wasn't caulked properly. Most importantly, he said they could put and "overlay" in at a cost of $365.00 that would cover the cracks and entire shower floor and look new again. Not a resurface, but an overlay. Still by far more reasonable than a complete new shower...

Old 09-18-12, 07:33 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
If you're satisfied with that, do it. I never worked with overlays, so I can't give an opinion.

Old 09-18-12, 07:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
So someone from the company who installed this is saying it was installed incorrectly and yet wants you to pay to fix it?

Old 09-18-12, 08:05 AM
M
No, the two homeowners before me didn't do any maintenance on the home. They never asked for warranty work from the builder like the deadbolt on the garage door never was set to where the bolt would enter the "slot" and I had to reset the striker plate. Little things like that here and there i had to fix or adjust.

And, the shower needs to be caulked every 12-18 months regardless. So it wasn't their fault, the homeowner has responsibilities too.

Old 09-18-12, 08:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Ah, ok - I'll buy that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: