Low Water Pressure

Old 09-11-12, 07:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Water Pressure

Hello,

Thanks in advance for thoughts and ideas.

We have three bathrooms, each with a shower. All water pressure throughout the house is fine except for one shower. The water pressure is low for both the faucet and the shower head.

My guess is that the stem needs to be replaced. Am I correct? If not, what else could explain low water pressure in only one location?

If I am correct, how do I determine what stem I have and how do I replace it?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-12, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Is it hot and cold that have low pressure in that bathroom?

I would start with removing the aerator at the sink and shower head to check for debris. May be clogged up.

Post back with your findings.

Old 09-11-12, 08:25 PM
M
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it is hot and cold, and it is a fairly recent problem. My wife uses that shower and told me that it had slowly been losing pressure.

I felt at the bottom of the shower faucet and didn't notice an aerator, all I could feel was the diverter.

Also, to make sure I communicated clearly, the sink in that bathroom is fine, it is only the shower faucet and shower head that have low pressure.

Thanks

Old 09-11-12, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
it is only the shower faucet and shower head that have low pressure.
You need to remove the shower head from the arm. The restrictor is in there and may be clogged. A good test is just to switch heads with a known working head. But you may find some stuff in there.

Do not run without the restrictor, as you will have less pressure.

Second ,to better help you if its not the shower head, is this a single lever or three handle faucet?

What is the make if know?

Old 09-12-12, 09:08 AM
M
Thanks, I will try that when I get home from work, but I am confused about how the shower head will have something to do with it when there is low pressure if we are just running bath water.

There is one lever that controls the water temperature and I don't know the make. I took off the plate last night but didn't see anything about a manufacturer.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-12, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
If its a thermostatic valve with one handle to turn the water on and one to adjust temp then I would replace the cartridge.

Take a pic and we can help you identify it.

Old 09-13-12, 12:27 PM
M
Attached are two pictures, one showing the shower faucet and lever, and the other picture of the shower head.

Old 09-13-12, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator
Looks like a moen posi temo, but the pic is too dark. Can you remove the handle and get a close up?

That cartridge runs around $90 bucks.

If so its the pressure balanced spool thats sticking, but its part of the cartridge.

( Note: Does the water come on with the handle turn CCW? And thats also cold to hot?)

Old 09-16-12, 07:02 PM
M
Hi, finally got some close up pics with the handle off. The water barely runs regardless of if it is cold or hot.

Old 09-16-12, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmm, not sure what that is. I will need to poke around some.

Turn those stops off on the body and remove the cart. You can either go to the home store or plumbing supply to match it, or take a pic of the underside of the cart and the cart as a whole..

Old 09-27-12, 07:52 AM
M
Finally getting a chance to do something about this. One question, you said to turn the stops, does this shut off the water or something else?

Old 09-27-12, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator
Those stops shut off the water to the faucet. This way you do not need to turn off the whole house.

Old 10-01-12, 02:40 PM
M
Well, things are not going well. I took the cartridge out and went to 4 home improvement stores, they all said they didn't carry it and referred me to one place in Dallas and said that if they don't have it then no one else does. So, went there this morning and they don't have it.

I have done some searching and it appears that this is a Glacier Bay unit, the cartridge/stem show HL-40. Most of the websites I have found say that Glacier Bay is cheap and that it is difficult to find parts.

So, I am left with two options:
1. Purchase a new and different type of unit.
2. Purchase another Glacier Bay unit and use the cartridge out of it, assuming that it is the same type.

Old 10-01-12, 02:53 PM
D
Replace it

Now that you took the wall apart and the parts apart and replacement parts are hard to find, I would recommend you put the best quality replacement unit in as the labor redoing the wall etc is more the replacement cost, and other parts may fail after repair. I like to think a repair decision looks at long term convenience and total labor over the long run, even if done by yourself, is time lost to other activities and priorities.

Old 10-01-12, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator
Thats nonsense. I am pretty sure the home stores have them.

Is this it here? Match the bottom. The HL 40 I believe means 40 mm.

Faucet parts

Old 10-01-12, 03:01 PM
M
Yes, except my stem is longer than this one. My stem is about 1 1/2" long and the one in the picture is about 1/2".

At the place I went to this morning I asked about buying the one in the picture, taking it apart, and putting my current stem in. They said that once it is opened that it won't work again.

Thoughts?

Old 10-01-12, 03:04 PM
M
Old 10-01-12, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
I will have to look around. I am sure I can find one locally.

I would be inlined to replace the valve with a Moen. Not a posi temp but a moentrol that takes a 1225b cartridge.

Old 10-01-12, 03:22 PM
M
Picture

Here is a picture of my cartridge/stem.

Old 10-01-12, 05:21 PM
M
Problem solved, temporarily

Just made a trip to Home Depot and bought another Glacier Bay unit. It had the same exact cartridge as in my picture!!!

I get it about putting in a better unit but right now I needed an inexpensive fix. And now, I have a receipt and proof of purchase. I know that down the road I'll probably have to replace the entire unit.

Thanks for your advice and suggestions!

Old 10-01-12, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
I just read where people where buying new faucets for the cartridge from the home stores. Then putting the old cartridge in the new faucet and returning it. Crazy but true I would assume. I will post the link if I can find it again.

It stated about the large amount of $$$$ these business's lose every year on returns, shrinkage, etc....

Last edited by lawrosa; 10-01-12 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-01-12, 06:52 PM
M
Someone actually suggested that I do that very thing. I now have a proof of purchase and a receipt and am definitely going to write to Glacier Bay to share my thoughts!

Old 10-19-12, 09:16 AM
M
Update

I have been in contact with Home Depot and as it turns out, Glacier Bay is a Home Depot proprietary brand name.

Long story short, Home Depot doesn't stock Glacier Bay parts, but they can be ordered through them.

My points to them were:
1. The Home Depot associate should have known this.
2. How would the average consumer know this?
3. Why doesn't Home Depot stock these parts?

Didn't really get an answer to these questions, just that in the future, if I have a problem I can order one then.

Frustrating!

Old 10-19-12, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, this is why I always suggest to buy moen when purchasing at the home stores. Same cartridge bought anywhere. Always stay away from Pegasus, glacier bay, premier...etc....

I guess its a plumber knowledge thing.

1. The Home Depot associate should have known this.

I am surprised they know anything...

2. How would the average consumer know this?

You would not unless your in the industry. Most buy for price and looks and never think about repair.

3. Why doesn't Home Depot stock these parts?

It produced overseas or Mexico and is made so cheaply it considered a throw away. Cheaper to replace then repair.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: