How do I remove REALLY stuck valve stems from my shower?

Old 09-13-12, 02:02 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I remove REALLY stuck valve stems from my shower?

I'm trying to remove the valve stems from my shower for repairs (because the diverter is leaking when the shower is on). My word, they are stuck on there. I can remove the screws from the center, and the escutcheon plates move freely about. But the stubborn handles won't turn enough for me to remove them. That is how you are supposed to remove the stems and escutcheon plates, right? Any help is GREATLY appreciated. This is very frustrating!

Super dirty. I know. Another reason why I want to remove the escutcheon plates...

Attached Images  
Old 09-13-12, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
You need a handle puller. It may be tricky because you have a three spoke handle. You may need to put a backer behind the handle so the puller can grab something.

Old 09-13-12, 06:59 PM
B
Ahhh. I think I've seen something like this before. Thank you so much!

I feel like I should try to loosen things up with vinegar first (calcium deposits)?

Old 09-13-12, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm.... It may be tough.

I usually break the stems and handles right off and put new. But you need the replacements.

Looks like American standard but I may be wrong. If you can identify I can help you find new handles....etc.

Old 09-13-12, 08:25 PM
B
Success! Well, part success. I went and bought the handle puller, and I managed to get one handle off. The middle one came off fairly easy. The next one is giving me trouble.

I can't see anything that specifically says American Standard - just some numbers and letters. The metal drain cover in the tub says "Standard" but that's part of the tub of course.

Thank you so much for your help!

Attached Images    
Old 09-14-12, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator
I believe this is what you need. You will need to double check and match the stems. May ne able to get from the home store, but I only remeber seeing Gerber/price pfister there.

Amazon.com: Danco 9DD0039614 Tub and Shower Trim Kit for American Standard: Home Improvement

Attached Images  
Old 09-15-12, 04:28 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, The only thing larosa missed was some plumbers grease or silicon grease. Lube everything including the spline for the handles. You Just might have to take it apart again.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: