Leaking faucet, but cannot pull out the cartridge

Old 09-23-12, 10:36 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking faucet, but cannot pull out the cartridge

I have a 25 year old faucet that is starting to drip about once every 3 seconds. I found this video that shows the different types of faucets, and mine is definitely the cartridge type.

So I took off the handle, and then removed the retainer clip. The guy in the video uses pliers to remove the cartridge with ease. But I am finding it impossible to pull the cartridge out. Any advice?

Old 09-24-12, 07:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
Please tell us what brand & type of faucet you have. Once we know what you have we can hopefully give some specific advice to help.

Since you mention a retaining clip and you can't remove the cartridge I'm going to guess it's a Moen faucet?

Old 09-24-12, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sounds like a Moen as dane stated.

The new cartridge comes with a tool to allow you to spin the cartridge. Follow the instructions that come with the new cartridge. That will break the seal and allow you to pull the cartridge out easier.

Old 09-25-12, 01:50 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes it is a Moen. I went to a Home Depot today and a guy there helped me find the right cartridge - a 1225 which is supposed to be compatible with the 1200 that I had read about. I also found a metal cartridge remover tool, so I got that too. I'm glad I got it because I definitely needed it.

I also watched some Youtube videos and saw a few where the guys pulled out the middle of the cartridge but said that the cartridge sleeve was still inside the pipe so they had to resort to all sorts of crazy techniques to get the sleeve out. I'm not sure what that's about, since I didn't have that problem, it went fairly easily.

Old 09-25-12, 06:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,716 Upvotes on 1,532 Posts
I'm glad you got it. As you probably saw in the video those cartridges can be very difficult to remove sometimes. Rarely does the little plastic tool provided with replacement cartridges work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: