Toilet making a loud hissing sound when filling after a flush

Old 09-25-12, 08:25 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet making a loud hissing sound when filling after a flush

Tiolet is making a loud hissing noise after flushing, so I replaced the fill valve (which I had done once before to remedy this issue) but this time it did not resolve the issue. The fill valve I am using is the Korky QuietFill Valve. I tried cleaning the old fill valve but that did nothing. I actually believe the noise is a result of the water flow into the cistern, since if I slow the flow down then the noise stops, but it takes about 4-5 minutes for the tank to fill (which is not acceptable). I have read somewhere that it might be water deposits in the waterline but I do not know how to fix that. Anyone having similar issues...any solutions to date?

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-26-12 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Typo fix
Old 09-26-12, 05:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
You can try disconnecting the water supply line where it attaches to the toilet. Place the end of the hose in a bucket and turn the water back on. If you have a good strong flow it is probably not the supply hose, but if the water comes out slower than you expect you can try a new hose to see if it helps.

Old 09-26-12, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Check the pressure of the water in the home. Usually high pressures cause what you describe. and possibly you have a faulty PRV valve at the main.

Old 09-26-12, 06:41 PM
B
The supply line is a ridgid peice of pipe that I can not bend. The flow seems to be fine, at least the tiolet fills up fast, but with the fast comes the noise....

Old 09-26-12, 06:45 PM
B
If water pressure was an issue would I not be having the same issue with the 2nd tiolet in the house?

Old 09-26-12, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
If water pressure was an issue would I not be having the same issue with the 2nd tiolet in the house?

Not necessarily.... Depends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: