Kitchen Faucet Spray Hose

Old 10-18-12, 10:41 PM
Kitchen Faucet Spray Hose

My kitchen faucet has one of those spray hoses. It worked fine for years, but recently the pressure coming out of the hose has been declining to where it only drips out, and can not be used at all. What is causing this? I know when I put the faucet in years ago, there was an adjustment for the spray head in the faucet. Do these things go out of adjustment? Is either the adjustment clogged with sediment, or the spray hose clogged with sediment? If so, can they be cleaned? I donít see any way to take the spray hose apart. I can stick a pin into the openings in the nozzle, but it doesnít help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-12, 02:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's possible sediment is clogging the small holes or even the main port. With the water off you should be able to pull out the hose and disconnect the head and clean it from the inside out. Keep an eye on how it comes apart and put it back together right. Before you put the head back on the hose, point the hose into the sink and turn the water on slightly to flush the hose out.

Old 10-19-12, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention the brand but I know on the Delta line there is a divertor valve for the hose. On many Delta's:
1)remove top handle
2)remove large top nut
3)lift straight up on the spout tube while gently turning from side to side and the divertor will be visible.

Old 10-19-12, 10:30 PM
Itís a Peerleess faucet. I did not know you could take the head off the hose. I did that and looked inside, and decided I would never get it back together. I turned the water on while I had the head off, and water continued to flow out of the main faucet and not a huge amount of water out of the hose, but a steady stream that didnít seem like it was under much pressure.

Old 10-19-12, 10:48 PM
Group Moderator
Yeah....Delta same thing with the handle off the hose. That's how you can tell it's not the spray handle. Peerless is a lot like Delta. Check out the link I left you on the diverter valve. Look at the top topic......faucet doesn't work,

http://www.peerlessfaucet.com/custom...ose/index.html

Old 10-20-12, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by PJmax
Yeah....Delta same thing with the handle off the hose. That's how you can tell it's not the spray handle. Peerless is a lot like Delta. Check out the link I left you on the diverter valve. Look at the top topic......faucet doesn't work,

http://www.peerlessfaucet.com/custom...ose/index.html
Thanks for that link. That looks like it will help me a lot. Unfortunately, I have no shut off valves under the sink, and must shut the water off to the entire house, so Iíll have to wait till I can shut the water off for a couple of hours. Maybe today, maybe not. Iíll let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-20-12, 03:55 PM
Bet you spend $10 and install stop valves while you are at it this time, won't you??? Surely you will.

Old 10-20-12, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by chandler
Bet you spend $10 and install stop valves while you are at it this time, won't you??? Surely you will.
Itís all copper. Beyond anything I can do. I had a plumber here a few weeks ago, and I asked him about it. Apparently it isnít an easy job. He was here for 35 minutes. Cost $6 parts, $110 in labor, and he did an easy job. I have put shut off valves everywhere else in the house but the kitchen. Iíd really like to put shutoff valves under the kitchen sink. Itís a pain to shut all the water off every time I need to replace washers.

Old 10-21-12, 04:15 AM
Look for sharkbite stop valves in the section at the box stores. They are really too simple to use. No sweating, just pop them on the 1/2" copper and you are done. You will need a copper tubing cutter, probably a couple of dollars. The sharkbites may cost more than regular valves, but you are looking for convenience.

Old 12-05-12, 11:49 PM
I set this project on the back burner and just got around to trying to work on it today. I bought a new spray head, but I can not figure out how to get the old spray head off. I had it off easily as I mentioned in post #4 of this thread, and I remember it being easy, but for the life of me, I can not figure out how I got that thing off. The Peerless site just says to remove the head. It dos not say how to remove it. What is the trick to removing the spray head?

Old 12-06-12, 02:30 AM
Just the spray head? Pull the head and hose out and unscrew it from it's base. You'll see the knurled bottom part usually.

Old 12-07-12, 12:33 PM
I thought the handle/spray unit was all one piece. Actually had to look for a video on YouTube to see how itís done. The new unit did not work, and it leaked, so Iím taking it back. Due to the age of the faucet, Iím thinking Iím just going to replace the whole thing. Itís not going to be easy for this no longer flexible 66 year old body to get all contorted under the sink, but I do think itís my best option at this time.

Old 12-07-12, 12:48 PM
Sometimes retiring older things is good......not US, though. Talking about faucets. I feel your pain..two Titanium knees, torn rotator cuff, inflexibility. I throw down a bag of dogfood in the sink cabinet entrance and use it for a "pillow" so I don't lean on that sharp edge.

Old 12-15-12, 11:51 AM
Iíve never had any surgery. Arthritis and muscle spasms in my back is what bothers me. Have good days and bad days.

I bought a new faucet, and hope to install it in the next day or two. First I have to mop up and dry out under the sink. I got an Oak Brook faucet. Never heard of them till recently. Are they as good as Peerless?

Itís been at least 20 years since Iíve had to replace the faucet. In the instructions, it says to apply some clear silicone latex caulk to base plate, but it does not say if it is applied between the faucet and the base plate, or between the base plate and the counter top. Which is it?

Old 12-15-12, 01:16 PM
I couldn't pass this one up.

Are they as good as Peerless?
Almost anything is better than Peerless.

In the instructions, it says to apply some clear silicone latex caulk to base plate, but it does not say if it is applied between the faucet and the base plate, or between the base plate and the counter top. Which is it?
Plumber's putty is really the proper material but if you have a stone (granite or marble) counter or some of the synthetic stone composites you need to be sure the putty is a stainless variety specifically for stone counter tops. The Silicone will work but it makes for a messy clean-up and difficulty when you need to change out that inexpensive faucet down the road. Generally you use the putty between the base plate and the counter top.

Old 01-28-13, 11:31 PM
I know itís been a while, but I put this on the back burner again. I like to update threads I start with the resolution for those that took the time to help. I decided not to install the faucet myself, but to have a plumber do it and install shutoff valves under the sink at the same time. That was a much bigger project than I could have imagined. None of the existing copper fittings could be used. He had to be creative and did a nice job, so I now have shutoff valves under the sink and a new faucet that works like it should. I appreciate the help and suggestions.

Old 01-28-13, 11:41 PM
Group Moderator
You're welcome and we appreciate your coming back and giving us an update.

Old 01-29-13, 02:12 PM
You're welcome and we appreciate your coming back and giving us an update.
Youíre welcome. I get frustrated with people who post a question, then never respond to the help they get.