Flat bottomed vessel sink install

Old 10-19-12, 05:34 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Flat bottomed vessel sink install

I installed a vessel sink with an overflow several years ago based on what I thought was correct advise. Turns out it wasn't (I think). Anyway, I have a porcelain flat-bottomed vessel sink (surface mounts on the counter). The hole drilled for the drain is 1 3/4" so that the nut could help secure it to the underside of the marble counter. There was just enough room left on the drain assembly to screw on the tailpiece (though that is not the problem). There was no gasket (as I recall) so I siliconed around where the assembly passed through the counter and of course it eventually started leaking. When I showed the sink and drain assembly to the local plumbing parts place they obviously ridiculed the install and said that the nut should tension the (missing) gasket to the base of the sink and the hole in the counter top should be big enough for the nut to fit in it. The only thing that should hold the sink to the counter should be some silicone (no nut clamping it down). Is this correct? (Most illustrations I see are using the nut to hold the sink to the counter.)They also couldn't find a properly sized gasket and said I'd have to order a whole new assembly. The one I have is 1 5/8" OD. Anyone know if I can simply order a new gasket somewhere? A quick google search left me empty handed. Also, the overflow hole in the sink base didn't line up with the hole in the assembly, so I dremelled the old one a bit to fit it (I know, probably also a mistake). However, if I order a new assembly, how can I determine if the holes will line up? This all seems way harder than it should be.

Old 10-20-12, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
"Flat bottom", "overflow" and "vessel sink" are terms that sometimes don't go together. Is there a way you can post a picture of your sink from the bottom and top so we can see what you see? Maybe there is a simple solution. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-20-12, 05:23 AM
S
This isn't my sink, but it is very similar.
How does drain assembly get mounted in vessel sink - pictures
You'll note in that thread the person says to mount it with the nut anchoring it down to the counter (what the Plumbing supply said NOT to do).

Old 10-20-12, 06:14 AM
The rubber gasket goes below the sink, and plumber's putty under the chrome flange inside the sink. I see the type sink you have and the overflow protection. Most vessel sinks don't have that feature.......they just overflow . Although plumbing supply houses sometimes have professionals working there with great advice, sometimes they get graduates from a box store, so beware. The nut will anchor it to the countertop. No way silicone will hold such an animal in place while you lean on it. Your sink should be a "sealed" unit before you place it on the countertop. the bottom nut just holds everything solid.

Old 10-20-12, 06:37 AM
S
Okay, you had me right up until the end. It sounds like you are agreeing with the thread I linked to until your statement about it being "sealed" before placing it. There is nothing I have observed that would tighten up to the bottom of the sink to "seal" it until the nut is put on underneath the counter. I get that the nut would pull everything tight from under the counter (essentially everything gets sandwiched between the flange of top the drain assembly and the nut under the countertop.
Now, none of this addresses the issue of lining up the holes from the overflows on the sink and drain assembly. None of the items I have seen for sale give dimensions on that. Or alternatively is there somewhere I can buy a replacement gasket for 1 5/8"?

Old 10-20-12, 06:58 AM
You are correct, and I overstated the "seal" part. With the gasket under the sink, once it is in place, you pull it down and seal it against the countertop, not really sealed as a "unit" as it would not be possible. Sorry about that. If the overflows on the sink and the drain don't line up, you possibly have the wrong drain. Did it come with the sink or was it a separate purchase? What brand sink did you buy?

Old 10-20-12, 07:17 AM
S
Okay. The main reason I asked, is because the plumbing parts store (and BTW a plumber who was getting parts chimed in) that I should have the drain assembly completely mounted to the sink and tightened up (essentially everything up to the trap). The sink/drain would then be dropped in and siliconed in place. They seemed confident this is the right way to do it and that the flat bottom and silicone would provide ample adhesion under normal use.
As to the drain and sink brands. Neither of them had any specific information.
This one looks about like the drain I have.
and this one was another I was considering.
Note neither give much in the way of dimensional specs.

Old 10-20-12, 09:53 AM
J
These sinks are a joke..buy a real beautifull one to sit almost flush with your countertop from Home Depot... I did..

Old 10-20-12, 10:43 AM
S
Jagart, not really helpful to the conversation. Aesthetically, I don't want a sink to sit nearly flush to the counter. I wanted what looks more-or-less like a bowl on top of the counter (and the height wouldn't be right if it sat nearly flush).

Old 10-22-12, 11:37 AM
S
So still no answer on...
1. Can I get a replacement gasket to seat under the sink (my drain assembly is 1 5/8". I found one that was 1 1/2" from Grainger.
2. Any pop up drain assemblies in the price range ($20-30) that give the dimensions of the threaded part (between the drain and tailpiece)?

Old 10-22-12, 01:11 PM
Drain assemblies are nominally 1 1/2" in diameter, so you should be fine with the 1 1/2" gasket.
You really would have to shop around with your drain assembly in hand to find one that is compatible, since you don't know the name on the sink/assembly.

Old 10-22-12, 02:14 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
I would go back to the plumbers recommendation. Because your vessel sink has a drain overflow, you have to mount the drain assembly to the sink to make it water tight. The drain holes do not have to line up for the drain to function correctly. Virually all bathroom top mount drop-in sinks are simply siliconed (caulked) in place. The p-trap and the balance of the drain pipes will hold the sink in place and steady. If your drain pipes are made out of the light weight thin plastic pipes (ones pre-threaded), consider upgrading to standard sch40 PVC for added strength to hold your vessel steady.

If all else fails, you can get a pop up drain assembly that is designed for a vessel sink WITHOUT an overflow. The throat of that drain does not have any holes in it for the water to leak out of. You could then mount the whole assembly to the countertop as you desire in this thread. Just don't let the water reach the overflow.

Old 10-22-12, 06:53 PM
S
Yeah, I considered just getting a non-overflow (I don't think anyone has actually ever closed the drain), but I worried that someone would close the drain and end up filling the sink to the overflow. I can only imagine the mess with all the water that would be stuck inside the sink and the mildew growth I'd get. Still, I'm tempted...

Old 10-23-12, 07:41 AM
All glass vessel sinks do not have an overflow so your catestrophic scenario of a major issue seems far fetched in my opinion. I don't know your brand of vessel, however, I have seen some sinks that have a plug/stopper that you can insert into the overflow. Never used one, just remember it being part of the kit.

Old 10-23-12, 08:40 AM
S
My sink is ceramic, not glass and is double walled with an overflow. I posted a link earlier in the discussion that shows a sink very similar to my own.
Here is the link again. Note that it is advocating attaching the nut of the drain assembly UNDER the counter. This is where the emphasis of my original question was coming from....
How does drain assembly get mounted in vessel sink - pictures

Old 10-23-12, 12:37 PM
I know your sink is not glass, I was merely pointing out that most vessel sinks do not have an overflow. However, this link shows how to install and American Standard Flat Bottom Vessel Sink. You will note that it is siliconed to the countertop, and the drain is attached directly to the vessel. They recomment a 2 1/2" hole for this particular sink, but whatever size allows clearance of yor drain assembly but does not allow you to see the hole will work.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...stall_1956.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: