toilet leaking

Old 10-20-12, 02:59 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet leaking

My toilet is leaking. when I shut off the inlet valve, the water in the tank will be empty after a few hours. In the past, this problem usually fixed after I replace the flapper, but it doesn't work this time. It continue to leak after I installed a new flapper. In fact, I can hear water slow drip sound... should be still problem in the flapper??

what's the next step for diagnostic the leaking?

Thanks.

Last edited by fei2010; 10-20-12 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-12, 04:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Could you post a picture of the inside of your tank so we can see what you see? Obviously this leak is internal. Maybe we can spot something. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 10-20-12, 04:36 PM
F
sure chandler. here is the picture http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8...020bf219_b.jpg

the green flapper is new. the valve seat seems smooth when I put finger around it.

I fill in the tank and shut off the inlet, I can hear dripping sound. it empty after 1 hour or so.

thanks.

Old 10-20-12, 05:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
I hate to say it still sounds like you have a leaking flapper valve. Sometimes I let the tank fill and reach in and push down on the flapper to stop the dripping sound. Then let the toilet sit as long as possible without being used. The idea being the weight of the water will flatten or form the flapper to seal to your toilet. It works sometimes. Other than that I usually install another flapper.

Old 10-20-12, 05:10 PM
Pictures are so neat! Your flapper chain is too taut. It needs a little slack in it to operate properly. Right now it may seem that it seals properly, but just the slightest tension will cause it to leak a little. Let us know how that goes.

Old 10-20-12, 05:40 PM
F
see the new picture: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8325/8...c3822296_b.jpg

chandler, I adjusted the chain a little bit so it is loose. however the dripping sound is still there.

Pilot, I did as you suggested, when I push the flapper down using my hand, the dripping sound goes away, but the drip resume after my hand off the flapper. yes it is still leaking in the flapper. maybe try a new flapper? what else?

I am also thinking to install dual fl something like this Amazon.com: ONE2FLUSH Dual Flush Toilet Conversion Kit Bonus Pack with new improved handle design, Better Fill water saving fill valve 3 St. Steel Bolts,Tank Bowl Gasket. Convert existing toilets to efficient dual flush toilets that Exceed Green Plum, reviews looks great but not sure how well it works. any comments?

thanks.

Old 10-20-12, 05:56 PM
T
That flapper seems to be at a very steep angle from hinge side to chain side. It looks like the chain side edge is actually touching the bottom of the tank possibly keeping the flapper from seating.

Old 10-20-12, 06:05 PM
F
toolmon, the chain is not touching bottom of the tank or the side of the flapper, it might due to the angle the picture was took.

thanks.

Old 10-21-12, 05:23 AM
I don't think you would gain anything by putting in the dual flush contraption, since all you have is a simple drip at the flapper. I would pop for a new flapper just to see if it would work. Put a little food coloring in the tank around the flapper area and see where it swirls at. That will give you an indication of the contact point that is faulty. Also, you can install an adjustable flapper, which may help with the attitude of the flapper versus the seat. Example :Shop Fluidmaster Adjustable Toilet Flapper Valve at Lowes.com

Old 10-22-12, 07:13 PM
F
Got a new flapper and put it in. Magically it stops leaking!!!

Thanks all for advice and help!

Old 10-22-12, 07:22 PM
Glad you got it fixed. Sometimes it is simple, while other times it requires a hammer

Old 01-05-13, 12:34 PM
F
unfortunately it happens again, leaking randomly. sometime worked perfect while suddenly started leak. changed a few new flappers but no fix...

It also happens sometime on other toilets at home. what else could I do? This is driving me crazy...

thanks.

Old 01-05-13, 01:57 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Based on the latest picture you posted, you need to shorten the length of the black fill tube coming off the fluidmaster 400. It should not snake around. In your picture the fill spout is facing the 12 o'clock position, if you shorten the black tube the fill spout should be facing the 3 or 4 o'clock position. Then rotate the fluidmaster valve so that the float guide bar is not interfering with the toilet flush handle. I think that sometimes these things get tangled up a little and prevents a good seal, regardless of how loose the chain is.

Old 01-05-13, 03:18 PM
F
thanks for the reply cizzi.

the black fill tube has been there for long time and it worked fine. the picture you looked at is the one before I changed the flapper and flush handle. here is the current picture: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8373/8...f67b58e0_b.jpg
I watched it when flushes, the handle/black fill tube and flapper/chain doesn't touch each other. I have noticed this leaking twice after 10/22/2012. this is in the up stair hallway.

the second toilet has leaking issue is in the first floor, the picture: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8376/8...31d0da56_b.jpg
I have tried clean the flapper and flush value, still leaking randomly. Changed a new flapper, even worse, I can hear the leaking sound. so I changed back to the old flapper and it continue random leak(frequently)...

the third one has problem is in up stair guest room, it seems not leaking but the ballcock is somehow broken. after flush, the water is coming down from ballcock (see the picture where I circled with red http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8077/8...7a278fcb_b.jpg
I guess I need to have a replacement?

Thanks for any suggestion!

Old 01-06-13, 09:26 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
For some reason, the toilet flappers seem to be a mismatch with you toilets, thus providing a poor seal. Write the make and model number down of the toilet, not if high flush or low flush and take the information to a plumbing supply house. They should be able to match up the correct flapper with your toilet. Obviously, the "universal" flapper is not working.

Old 01-10-13, 05:23 PM
F
Thanks, that's certain one option. I looked over but didn't find model number, here is a whole picture http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8...34096387_b.jpg

I changed flapper about two years ago, it was from ACE Hardware. I assume that's a universal one as well. I did some google search, some one mentioned it also could be the flush valve, and suggested to use sand paper to sand around the rim. will that work? or change the flush valve?

thanks.

Old 01-12-13, 11:23 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I had insane problems with 2 American Std total rebuilds last year. The symptoms were like yours. I finally scrapped the Sioux Chief brand overflow/flapper assembly with a Korky and the problems went away. I had replaced flappers twice on the Sioux Chief overflow, with no effect on the leaking. I have no clue why some flappers leak when everything looks fine. Recently, I had the same problem in my own house with a new Toto flapper. The tank would drain in 15 minutes. This one healed itself after 3-4 days. Good luck.
BTW, with the problems I've encountered lately, I now test a reassembled tank by setting it across the bowl, filling with a bucket and see if everything is tight. I had one that was leaking around the threads on the overflow standpipe.

Old 02-15-13, 09:51 PM
F
I am coming back for this problem....

I scrubbed the valve seat to make sure there is no deposit, I had changed different flappers and the leaking is still on and off... seems randomly.

It does not leak every time. when it leaks, it is very slow(takes several hours to leak about 1 inch) and doesn't leak all the water. I tested a couple times, I turned off the water inlet, the water in the tank lowered about 1 and quarter inches and then stay there even after overnight.

any idea/suggestion?

Thanks.

Old 02-16-13, 04:04 AM
How deep is the oveflow fill tube embedded in the overflow upright tube? If it is too far in the tube it will siphon an amount to where the end of the tube will no longer siphon. It should just be at the top of the overflow, just so it will allow water to enter.

Old 02-16-13, 09:54 AM
F
the overflow fill tube is just at the top of the overflow, it doesn't dip into the tube. See below photo: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8...2ae6f19d_b.jpg