Sewer Smell Coming Up From Toilet Randomly

Old 10-22-12, 02:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewer Smell Coming Up From Toilet Randomly

I haven't been able to figure out exactly when/what triggers the sewer smell. It seems to happen even before the toilet is flushed. For example, if I am pouring in a liquid cleaner into the bowl, the splashing caused from the cleaner hitting the water in the bowl causes the smell to come up. I don't recall it ever happening when the toilet is left completely alone. It also doesn't seem to happen every time, just some of the time.

I haven't been able to pinpoint the source. When it happens I have tried to see where the odor comes from and it seems like it's stronger underneath the tank lid rather than near the floor where the seal is down there. When reading over similar posts on this issue, it seems to happen to people WHEN or AFTER the toilet is flushed, so I'm pretty lost to even venture a guess.

Old 10-22-12, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
The only place that I know the smell would come from is the wax seal.

Does the toilet rock/wobble?

How old is the toilet? ( Wax could have dried out)

Old 10-22-12, 02:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
I'm with Mike, I'd replace the wax seal first.

Old 10-22-12, 02:38 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I don't know the age of the toilet. It looks pretty old. There isn't any noticeable rock or wobble that I can tell. This may be irrelevant, but when I look in the tank I see that the water is well below the "fill" line. It must have had parts changed in the past though because the fill line appears to be above the overflow tube. The water right now is at about 2" below the overflow tube, that's not too low is it? And would that even have anything to do with my issue? All the "clues" I get seem so strange. Why would the odor be stronger from the tank vs from near the floor and seal?

Thanks for the quick responses and help!

Old 10-22-12, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Possibly there is bacteria in the tank and it needs to be cleaned. Sulfur in the water? Are you on a well?

If its an older toilet, if your going to pull it you may consider replacing it with a more modern type.

Old 10-22-12, 05:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I would also say that it's an odor from the tank. Turn your water off at the shutoff and flush the toilet. Remove the lid from the top of your upper tank. Take a whiff. It's probably a buildup of minerals from the water that you're smelling... sulfur is one of the smelliest. Toilets are fairly inexpensive if cleaning it is a lost cause.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: