Flapper closes before tank is empty

Old 10-24-12, 07:08 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flapper closes before tank is empty

We have a problem with the toilet in the master bathroom having a weak flush.. Results in frequent clogged toilets or having to hold the tank lever down extra long. The hardware in it is very old so I decided to replace it all today with a korky complete repair kit (fill valve and flush valve) to see if it would improve.. Unfortunately- its the same story, new flapper closes before the tank is fully empty resulting in a weak flush.

From what I've read this can be several things, including jet hole (my toilet does not have one), clogged tiny holes in the bowl (toilet does not have them, or if it does they are not visible even with a mirror- I only see a small gap where the water flows from into the bowl). I've run a coat hanger in this gap to see what I can knock out, not a ton. Only thing I haven't done is run an auger down into the bowl yet, but again I don't know think that's necessarily underground plumbing since I can just hold the tank lever down longer and get a good flush. I'm hoping for some ideas of what else to check being that I don't have the jet hole or the small holes in the tank which everyone says to run a coat hanger through. Thanks for any suggestions!

edit: one more thing, I have adjusted the flapper chain so that it is at it's highest point when the lever is pulled..

Old 10-24-12, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
We can help you if you post the make, model and year of toilet. Otherwise we can only guess at what your issue may be. Some toilets need OEM parts. Others do not. This is due to design and flush rate/GPF

Old 10-24-12, 07:55 PM
H
It is a universal rundle 1.6 gpf installed when the house was built (1999). Since my last post I've also tried adding more water to the tank (2-3 inches) by tweaking the fill valve. I also ran an auger through it and didn't hit anything. I'm thinking there's some kind of build up keeping the tank from emptying quickly into the bowl, I'm just not sure where to look since my bowl doesn't seem to have those two problem areas of jet hole and smaller "bowl holes"..

Also, I installed the same korky kit on an identical toilet model in the guest bathroom and it's working perfectly. My guess is the guest bathroom has less buildup from less use..

Old 10-24-12, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Get a bucket and fill with two gallons of water. Pour in the toilet quickly.

How did it flush?

Flush the toilet normally. Then try the bucket again.

Post back the results. But if it flushed fine with the bucket test, replace the toilet.

Champion 4 from AS is my top pick. Then Toto drake. Then kohler cimmeron or highline.

Old 10-24-12, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Also I don't know what flapper you got, but possibly you can post the model. Korky makes several.

The water should be set as high as it can go without going over the overflow. Sometimes a longer overflow tube is needed along with a flapper that does not close early.

This may get you by for a while, but IMO why go through added expense.

Those toilets are junk IMO. I would have took it out the day I moved in. But that's just me.

Old 10-24-12, 08:37 PM
H
Thanks for your help on this. So, I dumped the bucket in and it flushed by itself.. Flushed manually and it seemed to be about the same.. Poured another bucket in and again it flushed by itself. Flushed manually again and it was still the same. Both times I was looking at the flapper and it still closes before the final flush. To clarify, it does flush just not with the power I get if I hold the tank lever down the whole time.

To your other point- I would like to replace the toilet, but I can't really justify it as we will probably be moving from this house within the next year. This is the kit I installed today.

Shop Korky Universal Toilet Repair Kit at Lowes.com

Old 10-24-12, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said if it flushes fine with the bucket test, then the issue is not enough water is getting to the bowl. This is due to calcium build up as the most common. The next is the water level in the tank.

If you have the level as high as it goes and you have a late closing flapper, then thats all you can do.

What flapper is it you have? Does it have the dobber on it?

Old 10-24-12, 08:44 PM
H
To be honest I didn't really check how strong the flush was when I dumped in the bucket cause I didn't really expect that to happen.. I can't really say that it was any stronger than regular flush but I'll try it again. Also, I don't quite have the water level as high as it can go, but I'll try that too.

Old 10-24-12, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Flapper type?????? ?

Make sure the bucket has about two gallons in it. Pour it in quickly.

Try the bucket test with wads of toilet paper in there.

Let us know.

Old 10-24-12, 08:51 PM
H
Not sure if you saw my edit to a few posts ago, but this is the kit..

Shop Korky Universal Toilet Repair Kit at Lowes.com

If you need me to reach in the tank I can, but not sure if the flapper has the model # on it.

Old 10-24-12, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Here are the toilets I have, install, and recommend.

American Standard Champion 4 Toilet Flushing Demo - YouTube

Old 10-24-12, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator
Oh thats good. Looks like that flush valve will allow you to raise the tube.

There is a nut on the overflow tube. Raise that to about 1" or 2" below the top of the tank handle. The tank handle is your limiting factor. Any higher and water will spill out.

That should be the best you will do. If it does not flush well after that then hold the handle or replace toilet.

Are you confident there is no obstruction in the toilet?

Old 10-24-12, 09:04 PM
H
Thanks again for all the replies. At this point I'll probably give it a week or so and see if it's better.. I haven't exactly put the new hardware to "real world" tests. It might be better and I just don't realize it yet.. I'm just hung up on the fact that the flapper closes before the tank is done emptying. It may in fact be better. If it's still resulting in clogs every other day though I may just have to go for a new toilet. I'm sure you prob would have told me how to clear the the calcium buildup problem if it were possible on this toilet. I'll also try to adjust the fill valve and overflow tube to put as much water into the tank as possible.

Old 10-24-12, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
In all actuality the flapper is supposed to close just when the water in the bowl flushes or hits its lowest spot. Not necessarily when the water in the tank all drains.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: