Fluidmaster fill valve

Old 10-29-12, 11:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Fluidmaster fill valve

I hate plumbing! I went to replace the fill valve and flapper with a fluidmaster 402LGR. It is a little different than the dozen or so others I've installed thru the years. The instructions says that code dictates the 'critical level line' be 1" above the overflow pipe. I installed according to directions and it wouldn't quit filling, reinstalled with that line level, then 1" below, 1.5" below and it still kept running. At 2" lower than the supposedly code level, it will quit running but the water stops about 2" from the top of the overflow tube.

What am I doing wrong? I've left it as is for the time being.... tired,frustrated and going to do something else for awhile but I'm sure sooner or later it will need to be flushed twice Did I mention I hate plumbing

Old 10-29-12, 12:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,326 Votes on 1,225 Posts
http://www.fluidmaster.com/downloada...sample_id/259/

The link to the installation instructions which I'm sure by now you've set fire to.

Usually if the valve won't shut off it's because it's overflowing the fill tube.

Old 10-29-12, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
How tight is the chain to the flapper. If it does not have a little slack in it, possibly it could be holding the flapper ever so slightly off the seat. The water line should be about 3/4 to 1" below the top of the overflow tube. You can adjust it either by the screw adjustment or the "v" clip sliding it up or down the stainless steel rod. Did you adjust the Fluidmaster to the height of your toilet before you put it in?

Old 10-30-12, 05:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The instructions said to adjust the height of the 'critical fill line' to 1" above the overflow tube - which I did..... and it would keep filling, letting the excess water go into the overflow tube. I kept adjusting it down and the final 1/2" adjustment dropped the water level 2" ...The flapper is working correctly.

I've also run into another problem. While it seems to be working ok at the reduced water level, sometimes the "float" won't come back up on it's own. I can tap it a couple of times and then the water comes out and it fills to the 2" low cut out point. Would there be a burr or something hanging it up? or is it a product of low water pressure? My water pressure runs between 0-50 psi with the average being about 25 psi.

PJ, the only reason I haven't put the instructions in the burn barrel is because it's not operating correctly yet

Old 10-30-12, 05:45 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, The float doesn't work with pressure. Think of a fishing bobber it makes no difference on how big the lake is. I think the float is in a bind. Make sure the float travels straight up and down and also it doesn't hang up on anything.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 10-30-12, 06:35 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Actually never installed the leak guard variety of fluidmaster 400 series, but from research, it sounds like a "rube goldberg" improvement on a perfectly functioning system. The reading I did said that you need to adjust the 2nd chain that hangs from the float by using the different holes located on the flush handle. They recommended starting furthest hole left (closest to handle) and work your way out toward the tip. Keeping the chain taught, but not too tight.

Somehow, I feel you'll find me tomorrow sitting indian cross legged on the floor in the middle of a box store disecting this bugger to see how it clicks, just so I'm not caught off guard on a service call.

Old 10-31-12, 04:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
My glasses broke and since the commode somewhat works I've put it on the back burner but I intend to work on it again this morning..... before the cook goes on strike

My first time with the leak guard option too. Didn't realize it had it at first... until I saw the extra chain and couldn't figure out what it was for. I bought this particular package because it seemed like the best of what big blue had to offer although they didn't have a big selection to choose from. I don't think the chain is causing any problems although it could be a little tighter.

Fixed my glasses with JB Weld and figure if I bring in more light maybe I can find the problem and get it working correctly. Good to know that low water pressure can be crossed off the list I don't know if it's me or the unit I bought but I've never had this much trouble fixing a commode

Old 11-01-12, 10:12 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have an R&T fill valve on my Glacier Bay toilet...after flushing, the fill valve stars running. When I hold up the float cup, it stops...but I can't get the float cup to stay up that high on its own. I think I need to adjust the height of the cup, but I can't seem to see how to do this...any thoughts?

Old 11-01-12, 11:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums legger25!

It does sound like an adjustment is in order. Has it always done this or just started recently? Hopefully one of the plumbers will be able to walk your thru the 'how to' part of it.

side note, mine is finally working good EXCEPT every now and then you have to tap the valve to get it to pop up and start filling

Old 11-01-12, 12:44 PM
L
Thanks! Actually we just bought the house last week, but everything is brand new because it was a rebuild from a fire. And we were in the house a few days when this started after a flush. It seems like every fill valve I come across online or on these boards either has the screw top on the adjustment bar, or the metal clamp that you pinch...but mine has neither...so I don't quite know how to adjust the water level higher, thereby raising the float cup and stopping the hissing sound.

Old 11-01-12, 04:14 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I did a little research on the fill valve you mentioned and each says that you can adjust the float by a turn screw attached to the arm that shuts the valve off. There also should be an adjustment to the overall height of the unit on the main stem that is attached to the toilet itself. If you could send a picture to verify we are talking apples to apples we can better assist you.

Old 11-02-12, 09:23 AM
L
Thanks...I went out last night and got a brand new Fluidmaster 400A fill valve (even though the one I had is supposedly brand new) and put that in...still having problems, although now I'd say they're worse! The fill valve now starts running on its own about 30 seconds after I flush...runs for a few seconds (which includes water dripping down from the top of the fill valve) and then stops. But then it starts up again about 20 seconds later or so.

Maybe it's a problem with the flapper seal? Possibly water is leaking from the tank through there, and the fill valve kicks in to replace the water which is leaking out?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: