Toilet fills normally but slowly drains out and does not flush completely.

Old 11-04-12, 04:37 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet fills normally but slowly drains out and does not flush completely.

About 2 weeks ago my toilet started to just fill up and then drain really slow, i have tried several things online so far, When i pour a bucket of water in it flushes just fine. I have plunged it and snaked it several times, even tried emergency septic tank unblocker thinking that there is a problem with my septic tank, However i dont think that is the case because none of the other drains in the house, or the washing machine drain slowly. This is the only toilet in the house and has always worked perfectly, Me and my wife live alone and neither one of us has flushed any other objects down that could potentially get stuck in the trap. We do not have one of those jet things at the bottom and i have cleaned out all of the holes under the rim with a coat hanger. The only thing i have not tried is pulling the toilet and replacing the wax ring. I have also not checked the vent but i have never had a problem with it in the past........any ideas?

Ashton

Old 11-04-12, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
So please explain a little better.

The toilet flushes fine with a bucket of water?

The toilet does not flush well when flushing normally?

How old is the toilet and what is the make?

Look in the lid or tank to find that info.

Old 11-04-12, 04:54 PM
A
OK, so the toilet is around 10 years old and made by Crane Plumbing
i looked inside on the lid and found these numbers if they help you

L94
S538

When i pour a bucket of water into the toilet, it flushes fine
When i flush it normally it just spins and spins and never goes down,
but if i hold the handle whatever is in it eventually goes down but the water never does.

Old 11-04-12, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 793 Votes on 730 Posts
Sounds like a slow draining line... roots in the line is not unheard of... How long since the septic tank was pumped out, or the field extended?

Old 11-04-12, 05:04 PM
A
The tank was pumped out 4 years ago. I'm not sure what you mean by field extended.....The only tree that is close to it is a crape myrtle tree, and that is about 25 feet away. They typically do not have aggressive root system, and do not spread that far.

Old 11-04-12, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
If your drainage field has become limited in its ability to drain because of contamination (either a tank that went too long before being pumped, or from collapsed tiles, or from tree roots, etc) it is sometimes advisable to build a new branch onto the drainage field.

Perhaps Mike has other ideas before jumping to that conclusion.

Old 11-04-12, 05:11 PM
A
In other words you think i should have a septic expert come and evaluate my system?

Old 11-04-12, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
I would say toilet... Cranes clogged from calcium. I would replace.

I am only going on this statement.
When i pour a bucket of water into the toilet, it flushes fine
When i flush it normally it just spins and spins and never goes down,

Old 11-04-12, 05:23 PM
A
Ok well i suppose replacing the toilet would be cheaper than having my septic tank looked at, the only other thing i can think of is to get a wider diameter auger from the hardware store and give that a go to eliminate ANY possibility of a clog before i try replacing and repairing other problems, I will keep you guys informed. Thank you for the help!

Old 11-04-12, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Toilets are fairly inexpensive, and you could DIY... I'd try Mike's suggestion first.

Old 11-04-12, 10:10 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
If the toilet flushes properly with the bucket treatment there is nothing wrong with the drain piping. Change out the toilet. Best toilets according to many plumbers are the Toto Drake and the American Standard Cadet 4.

Old 11-05-12, 08:37 AM
B
Really interested in how your issue turns out. I just rebuilt the insides of one of my toilets and I flushed it a couple of times. Job done. However, later it does your toilets act and just moves the water but does not flush. I am suspecting the flapper for not letting the water in the toilet tank drain fully before it closes. Anyone know how to keep the flapper open longer to allow full drainage of the tank?

Old 11-05-12, 12:24 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Anyone know how to keep the flapper open longer to allow full drainage of the tank?
Modern toilets do NOT dump the entire contents of the tank when flushing. One-half to two-thirds of the tank "dropping" is pretty much normal. The use the additional volume only as a means to get a higher "head" pressure to facilitate the flush.

Old 11-05-12, 04:27 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Mike - the problem is with the toilet not with the plumbing or your septic system. If it was one of those it would effect all your drains.

However, before replacing your toilet there is one other thing to try. Get a toilet auger to clear any clog. A plunger or a snake will not work on a partial clog the plunger just pushes water past the clog and the snake looks for the easiest path. The auger will grab/push any blockage.

The flush with a bucket might also be misleading. Dumping a bucket is putting a lot more water into the bowl in a shorter period than the flush valve does, especially if some of the bowl gallery holes are blocked.

Just something to try before buying a replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: