Move a tub drain left 2 inches in concrete..HELP

Old 11-24-12, 10:31 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Move a tub drain left 2 inches in concrete..HELP

I hope this is a dumb question and someone has a quick easy answer. I removed a 28 inch tub with the drain coming out of my concrete slab at 14 inches on center, the new tub is 32 inches so now I need to go left 2 inches to 16" OC. So what is the easy way to accomplish this small move to the left? Does the drain need to be straight shot down to the p trap or could I install a couple 90s to get the 2 inch move to the left....see its already starting to sound dumb. Please help.

Old 11-24-12, 10:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
How much room is there between the bottom of the new tub and the concrete ?

Old 11-24-12, 11:03 PM
M
Thanks for your reply. Its a whirlpool tub, hasn't been installed yet. but it will sit right on the concrete in a bed or mortar. There is a pretty big hole where the drain goes to the p trap. It is a older brass type. I have a replacement that goes with my American Standard tub to that you can fill the tub to the top. Here is a pic of what I am looking at.

Attached Images   
Old 11-24-12, 11:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
So the vent/overflow line (where the drain release was) will need to go too. It looks like the drain is currently in dirt..... is that correct ? Which way (left or right) in the picture does the drain have to go ? Is the drain all sweated copper fittings ? From what I can see why cant your idea with the elbows work ?

Old 11-25-12, 06:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Dig the dirt out from around the trap. Clear as much dirt as you can, 'cause you got some pipe reworking to do. It may be you can swing your trap around, but being in dirt, and possibly soldered together, you may not. Post pix of the excavation.

Old 11-25-12, 08:43 AM
M
yes, its all in dirt at this time, I havn't excavated yet, but it it all brass as far as I can touch. It needs to go 2 inches left and 1 inch toward you as you look at it. The new pieces to attach is black plastic. How am I going to attach that?

Old 11-25-12, 10:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Once you excavate and attach photos, we can tell you how to do that. You will probably have to use pcv or abs pipe and a fernco fitting, not sure.

Old 11-25-12, 12:02 PM
M
ok here is a pic of the p trap. As you can see, it is right up against the concrete and going back under the wall. The shower drain for the other bathroom is just on the other side.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: