Conversion from tub to shower thoughts

Old 12-04-12, 09:45 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Conversion from tub to shower thoughts

Ive recently had to tear the walls of my shower out due to the tiles were starting to fall off the wall and i noticed the tub flange is rusted out so i have to make a decision to just put another tub in or just buy a shower base and go that route.. but the issues i see is that drain which is of course a 1.5" drain and the bases require a 2" i'm going to assume its just going to be easier and keep costs down by just replacing the tub ive read some people have used some sort of reducing bushing to make the drain work.. from what i can tell the drain has a steel pipe and don't really want to mess with any of that trying to keep costs down.

Old 12-04-12, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! It doesn't make sense to me, either, why a tub with 40 gallons of water rushing out of it only requires a 1 1/2" drain, while the trickle of a shower requires a 2" one. But we don't make the rules, do we??

Unless you can replace the entire drain with 2", you may be relegated to replacing the tub with a 1 1/2" drain set up. Wish I had better news, but necking down the drain is not an option.

Old 12-04-12, 08:34 PM
M
an 1-1/2" by 2" fernco or a "no-hub" transition coupling will help making the connection from steel pipe to pvc or abs

Old 12-04-12, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
why a tub with 40 gallons of water rushing out of it only requires a 1 1/2" drain, while the trickle of a shower requires a 2" one.
Because a tub has a 18" plus skirt and can hold more water. It can drain at its leisure.

A shower has say 3" or so skirt and needs to drain faster so overflow does not occur.

A tub has an overflow also... Shower not...

Make sense?

Old 12-05-12, 01:43 AM
T
thanks for the help so far.. i'm worried after i take the tub out if i decided to make it a shower i wouldn't be able to change to a 2" drain doing it myself cause i'm not sure what its going to look like down there

Old 12-05-12, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Makes sense, Mike. It just seems an industry standard of 2" for both tubs and showers would make even more sense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: