Best shower pan

Old 12-18-12, 06:56 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best shower pan

Remodeling existing shower. Going with ceramic tile. What is the best (regardless of cost) shower pan material for the pan? Any tips on installation?

Old 12-18-12, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
The pan is made up from a rubber membrane. Then mortar and tile.

Make sure you chose your contractor wisely. I have seen some horror stories.

Are you going to DIY?

Old 12-18-12, 07:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not DIY. Plumber not available to install pan for a few days. Tile contractor says he's installed 5 or 6 pans. Volunteered he uses rubber membrane. Not pushed to complete this job. It's a spare bathroom. Debating whether I should wait for plumber or roll the dice on tile guy.

Old 12-18-12, 12:35 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
I would wait a few extra days for someone who has done more than just a few pans. Any mistakes will result in having to redo the whole thing. Not something I'd want to do more than once.

Mike/others, what are your thoughts on the Schluter-KERDI system? It's a dense foam used as the pan, with an orange waterproof membrane. All the rage on some contractor-type TV shows. Looks easier to install and a better end result, but I've never used one.

Old 12-18-12, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I was going to mention the Schluter system, but got distracted. Completely waterproof, no need for cement board or moisture barriers, install right over sheetrock. Relatively easy to install...no real special skills required. Costly...well...maybe 1/3-1/2 more than typical installs. Materials cost is higher...but labor goes way down due to the speed of install.

I've seen reviews on many sites...some Pro's were reluctant, because it was new stuff (though used in Canada and other places for years), but once they tried it...they were hooked.

Sand mix and membrane is pretty cheap...but if the installer makes just a little mistake (slope, sealing, corners, etc), it has to all be ripped out to correct the problem. Those are learned skills as opposed to just reading the very detailed instructions from Schluter.

Old 12-18-12, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
Mike/others, what are your thoughts on the Schluter-KERDI system?
I'm impressed but whats the cost?

Wait I looked it up...

Amazon.com: Schluter Systems: Tools & Home Improvement

Hmm , seems it may take on an additional $1000 or so in materials. Then essentially you are in a sense tiling twice so double the labor if you are highering a contractor.

Would it be fair to say cost may run an additional $2000? ( just my guesstimate)

Possible to meet on a budget stand point just do the pan and install the walls in the conventional way...

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-18-12 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 02:27 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Votes on 143 Posts
Looks to be around $500

Kerdi Shower System Kit (48"x48" tray), Schluter-Kerdi-Shower-Kit - eComfort.com

I've seen it used on some TV shows and it does look great. I'd try it on my next shower.

Old 12-18-12, 03:53 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Don't use your plumber to set the pan, he can set the drain but that's it. If you go with a membrane and traditional mud set pan, you want to have a double slope. One for the pan membrane to slope toward the drain, another for the tile to slope toward the drain. Two sets of concrete/floor mud done on subsequent days with a flood test in between. Quiz your tile guy to see if the couple of pans he has done resemble the instructions in the following link. It will give you the upper hand as far as knowledge as you choose a contractor to install your shower.

How to build a shower - Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Old 12-19-12, 06:49 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think mud beds and membranes are going to go the way of cast iron drain pipe. They are beiing replaced by newer, more reliable materials and processes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: