Toilet started leaking through floor from drain- was seal?

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-12, 04:36 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Toilet started leaking through floor from drain- was seal?

Our toilet recently started leaking at the big main drain pipe just below it (which is exposed in the basement). I can see wetness dripping down the sides of the main pipe seemingly coming from just above (where the toilet sits atop).

Coincidentally this began happening right around the time that I accidentally applied horizontal pressure to the toilet bowl in the bathroom, and it slid about 1/2-1" sideways across the floor- I noticed the nuts holding it to the bolts on the floor were loose, and I didn't tighten them right away which unfortunately let the bowl shift around on it's spot on the floor by about 1/2-1" in a few directions over the course of a week or so. Having replaced a toilet bowl once a very long time ago I vaguely recall a donut shaped wax seal being basically the only form of seal between the drain at the bottom of the toilet and the drain pipe in the floor. Now I am thinking all this shifting around may have smooshed the wax around enough to leave gaps in the seal...

Can anyone think of anything else to look at before I pull it up?

Thanks!!

Old 12-18-12, 04:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track. Time to pull the toilet and install a new wax ring.

Old 12-18-12, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Can anyone think of anything else to look at before I pull it up?
Nope... Your probably spot on.

Although until you pull the toilet you cant be sure if it may be something else.

Such as the flange itself cracked if pvc. Or brass to lead flange issue id lead bend...etc.

Make sure you have a plan for a bathroom facility if you pull the toilet and another issue arises.

You may be without a toilet until you can get the parts or advice to do the repair yourself. certainly a pro will complete the repair in less then two hours but it will come with a price....

let us know

Old 12-18-12, 06:24 PM
C
Thanks guys, I will start by pulling and replacing the wax seal.. I did this once over 10 years ago, and recall it was kind of hard positioning the toilet over and then letting it down onto the wax seal with perfect placement in one go- however it sealed ok... Do you think it's worth spending an extra few bucks on those wax ring cap things that sit atop the wax ring with guide holes that hold the bolts up straight for easier alignment, and maybe also help endure a better seal? (like this: HydroCap Sure Seat Wax Ring Cap-HCP110 at The Home Depot) ? Just as extra DIY insurance ?

Old 12-18-12, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Your looking for trouble IMO using that product... maybe just me though.....

Old 12-18-12, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I have used soda straws cut in half and placed over the bolts to help guide down the toilet. Not sure it that will help or not.

Old 12-19-12, 07:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
Placing a toilet by yourself is never easy. Getting into a good position to carry the weight puts you in a bad position to see the bottom of the toilet. Best is if you can get a helper. One person carries the weight while the other is watching the bolts and alignment.

Old 12-19-12, 11:28 AM
C
A new wax ring did it. The old bolts were set into the flange in such a way that they were very rigid, and they stuck up just a tad over the new wax ring before setting, so I left them in, and lowered the toilet over one of the bolts, then carefully rotated the whole toilet using that one bolt as a sort of anchor for my pivot point until the other bolt lined up. Then pushing down onto the ring in one go was pretty easy- I think I got a great seal.

Total time- just under one hour. Much better than average for me.

Thanks all, I really appreciate the advice!

Old 12-19-12, 12:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Glad you got it fixed without having to resort to spending a lot of money.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: