Double Kitchen Sink W/Disposer Not Draining Well When One side Is Plugged

Old 12-19-12, 12:24 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double Kitchen Sink W/Disposer Not Draining Well When One side Is Plugged

Just bought a house and it has a double kitchen sink w/disposer on the right side... when i plug the right side to do dishes and try to rinse the dishes in the left side sink, it will fill up before it drains fast enough to keep up with the running water... why does it do this and how do i fix it? it also has a built in dishwasher...

Old 12-19-12, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
We would have to see pics. There is a baffle on the continuous wastes and it may be blocked with food. Hence why the right side drains fine...

Sound right?

Do a test.... fill both sinks with water and then pull the stoppers... What happens? On sink drains faster?

Old 12-19-12, 01:13 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Does the problem only occur when you have one sink plugged?

You've probably got a partially clogged drain. First I would clean the trap and lines under the sink in the cabinet. They are easy to access and in most cases are easy to disassemble for cleaning. If that does not solve your problem you may have to clean out the drain line in the wall/floor.

Old 12-20-12, 08:36 AM
Z
i plugged & filled both sides of the sink full and then drained the sinks at the same time along with leaving the water running full open(both hot & cold) on one side and they both drain fast, even with the water running in one side.

Old 12-20-12, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
If both sinks were full and they both drain fast, I see no reason why one sink would drain slow with the other plugged.

You would need to take a pic of the trap and hook up for us to suggest anything else.

Do the opposite of your issue. Plug the left sink and drain the GD side.... Same thing?

Old 12-20-12, 10:44 AM
Z
plugged & filled the opposite sink up and with the water running in the disposer side it is draining just fine... i will take some pics of everything under the sink and put them up here, maybe that will help out...

Old 12-20-12, 11:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 746 Votes on 685 Posts
Is it consistently slow draining in the one sink or just an occasional thing?

Old 12-22-12, 09:48 AM
Z
turns out that the dishwaser was draining directly into the disposal without going thru a dishwasher air gap... i installed a air gap on the drain line for the dishwasher and it fixed that problem, it fixed the oder in the disposal too...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: