clawfoot tub plus rainhead shower head, possible?

Old 12-28-12, 08:18 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clawfoot tub plus rainhead shower head, possible?

Thanks in advance for any assistance given.

I have an old clawfoot tub with the faucet head that has the small, maybe half inch, pipe running up to a shower head. It's activated by the pull rod on the faucet head to change from tub fill to shower. I am wanting to get rid of this shower rod because it's a very flimsy design and I'm tired of being stuck with it.

Is there a way to run a ceiling mounted rain shower head with the pipes running thru the wall, and keep the faucet as well?

The water shut offs are currently level with the floor, in front of the tub. The tub drain is in the middle of these shut offs.

Let me know if more information is needed. Or a picture lol

Old 12-28-12, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Yes a picture will help. They make many new retrofits for these type of tubs. But it would be better if we see what you have before we make a suggestion.

Old 12-28-12, 10:37 PM
C
Ok. This first picture is of the plumbing how the tub is currently ran.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-12, 10:40 PM
C
This other photo is of how the faucet currently is. You can see on the backside of the head on the faucet the pipe fitting for the shower rod. Comes off the faucet head and up to the shower head.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-12, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
The shower head part broke from what I see......Do you need to replace that faucet?

Old 12-29-12, 12:31 AM
C
Apparently you didn't read the question. I am wanting to run a rain shower head off of this setup and bypass the current shower system that is shown in the picture. No, it is not broken. It's just removed.

Old 12-29-12, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
I read the question and understand.

You want a large rain shower head.... And want the support.

Do you have a curtain support to attach a head to?

How far from the wall is the tub?

You need to divert the water and off the spout would be the only option from what I can see.

like this?

Old 12-29-12, 10:55 AM
C
No, that's exactly how the current shower setup is (minus the million dollar fancy schmancy beautiful faucet setup).

Is there a way to just keep the current tub fill faucet and run in-wall plumbing and have the rain shower head come thru the ceiling?

As far as the wall distance, in the first picture, you can see the studs. That's how close it is to the wall. Maybe a little over a foot?

Old 12-29-12, 11:31 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If you don't mind opening walls and having a separate faucet for the shower you could install a shower faucet in the wall and run piping for the shower through the wall and up into the ceiling and over to the center of the tub.

Plan "B" build out the wall to the tub just where the tub is, remove the existing faucets and replace with blanks. Then install a tub and shower faucet in the build out and run the pipe for the shower up inside the wall and through the overhead.

The build out would not need to be wider then the tub and would not need to go all the way to the ceiling. It could be maybe a foot higher then the tub and tiled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: