Moen-type posi temp shower faucet will not turn all the way around

Old 01-01-13, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moen-type posi temp shower faucet will not turn all the way around

I'm definitely a very novice diy-er and a very green homeowner but have been troubleshooting my shower all day.

The problem is that the shower will not mix the hot/cold water. If you turn it left from 12 o'clock it's hot and if you turn it the other way from 12 o'clock it's cold. (You turn it to turn on the water--it's NOT the kind you pull out first and then turn)

I took apart the assembly because I intended to look at and clean the cartridge. But it didn't pop out (and I broke the plastic tool that's supposed to help get it out). Since I wanted to keep working with it I tried turning some things around to see if it was installed upside down (our hot water is on the right and cold water on the left). It had the same issue upside down--won't mix. I also played around with the plastic parts that limit the hot water temperature but nothing worked.

The issue is basically that the handle does not turn the full 270-360 degrees it's supposed to--something stops it at the 12 o'clock position. The only way it will fully rotate is with the cotter pin out. Since I got it to work that way and the cartridge is stuck anyway I was going to put the housing back together and call it a day but....I think the cotter pin is to keep the cartridge from shooting out of the wall and however unlikely that still sounds like a huge mess.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure the problem is somewhere in the faucet/housing and not in the cartridge. The parts are all Moen-like but they're definitely the off-brand (an off-brand that doesn't put their name anywhere I can find it). The faucet is tear drop shaped and the housing is screwed in at 2 o'clock and 7 o'clock. I read through the other threads and would like to also know what folks recommend to get the cartridge out besides the plastic tool I broke.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
(our hot water is on the right and cold water on the left).
The cartridge is upside down. Even if your water was really backwards, turning the cartridge around would fix it.

I also played around with the plastic parts that limit the hot water temperature but nothing worked.

Both should be at 12 o clock for max hot water.

Any ideas?
You need to replace to cartridge or course. Go to the home store and get the metal tool. Its a bit pricey but if you have all moen in the home then its worth it.

MOEN Cartridge Removal Tool for 1200 or 1225 or 1222 Cartridges 104421 at The Home Depot

When you install look for the H/C on the plastic tab. That goes up. I think if you look at your cart now it most likely is down.

Old 01-02-13, 02:32 PM
The h/c on the cartridge faces up like it shows in the tutorials. Should I flip it 180 (after I buy the speedy tool)? Then it would be on the bottom.

Old 01-02-13, 02:47 PM
my pipes are reversed I think

And that may be why the cartridge needs to go in upside down. I will try flipping the cartridge and post back. How to replace a Moen Positemp cartridge

Old 01-02-13, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
No if you say your hot and cold are reversed I kind of doubt that. It could be but I doubt it.

Your H/C is facing up? Install the new cart the same way. Should always be up.

What makes the H/C reversed is the orientation of this hole in the stem. All the moens have them. It should face you or face down like shown here.

Make sure when you reinstall the handles the hole is facing down as imy highlight shows. ( arrow)

If you get it going and find your H/C is truly reversed then remove the handle, orient the hole in the stem up, and reinstall the handle.

Let us know....

Attached Images  
Old 01-02-13, 08:33 PM
My stem doesn't have a hole in it...?

It's all smooth. Everything else is like the photo though, except the hot water enters on the right. I'll definitely post back.

Old 01-02-13, 11:59 PM
Fixed! Danco makes the cartridge puller and it was less than $15. We pulled it, lubed it and flipped it so the h/c was on the bottom. We put the retainer clip on the bottom first, but that didn't work (same problem as before and that's also something we tried the other day when the h/c was still on top, we put the pin on the bottom but it wouldn't work that way either). So we put the pin on the top and it works. The apex of the teardrop points down and you turn it counterclockwise to turn it on. Cold comes first and the faucet spins a full 270 to hot (on the left). So, the takeaway is the h/c indication on the cartridge must align with the shower is piped.

Old 01-03-13, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator
Good job....Glad you were successful.