Delta single handle faucet cam won't fit

Old 01-02-13, 08:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Delta single handle faucet cam won't fit

I had a drip from the faucet as well as a leak from the handle. I got replacement parts and disassembled the faucet. I replaced the O rings as well as seats and springs. I put the old ball back in. However, now the cam won't go back in even when I try aligning the tab with the notch. This type of cam has a built-in O ring. Either the cam doesn't sit level or the O ring keeps bulging out the side, hard as I might try. As a result, I am unable to put the cap back on. I also have the old style cam and packing which are 2 separate pieces, and the also require the use of an adjusting ring. I am able to use this style of cam and packing. However, when I put everything back together again. water leaks profusely from the handle. Any hints on how to handle this? I have watched some repair videos on U tube, but they don't mention any special precautions to handle this type of situation.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 09:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
You picked up the actual rebuild kit like I've shown below and the cam it comes with wont go in ?

Attached Images   
Old 01-03-13, 05:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Sometimes it seems the repair parts are ever so slightly different in size which can make it difficult to get everything back together. A light coating of petroleum jelly on the seals may help it slide back into the faucet easier. Also try wiggling the cam and give it a little back and forth twisting motion as you try to get the black seal into the faucet housing. If you got the correct repair kit it should work.

Old 01-05-13, 07:27 PM
PJmax, the kit is what your picture shows except that it doesn't include the ball, nor the part pictured at the bottom left. Delta has now started supplying a composite cam and washer as a single unit with a built-in O ring, unrelated to the 2 O rings that are installed on the faucet body. I was not trying to replace the existing composite cam/washer, but it continued to give trouble as indicated in my original post. Then I retried using the separate cam and washer. The washer sat in level nicely on top of the ball. It took some nimble manipulation to keep steady pressure on the ball while trying to put the cap into position. Finally, I succeeded in putting it all together. Now the faucet works without a leak at the handle, and the handle itself moves very smoothly with little effort. Sometimes I run into a situation where I've turned off the water with the handle, but the water keeps running as a small stream. Then with handle movement, I have to turn the water back on and turn it off again, till the handle finds its right spot, and the run stops.

Old 01-05-13, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Yeah.....sorry.....the ball doesn't come with the rebuild kit and that other part is for a kitchen sink model.

It usually comes down to the ball not sitting in the groove properly.
Sometimes it takes three hands to put together.
Also.....you have to move the handle around while tightening the large nut......so that it's properly seated. Make sure nut is fully tightened too.

Old 01-10-13, 08:28 PM
After a few days of operation, the repair seems to be holding. I have also discovered where the handle should be parked. It is not symmetrically in the middle but I'll take it. Thank you PJMax and Pilot Dave for your insights.