Quick toilet flange question

Old 01-05-13, 01:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Quick toilet flange question

We are remodeling a bathroom and will be replacing the toilet in our mid 80s built house. Before installing a new toilet, our existing bathroom flooring will be changed. We currently have linoleum and the clearance from the top of the toilet flange (plastic ring that stays in floor after toilet removal) to the linoleum is less than 1/2". My question is, do I have any consideration in this clearance which is going to change when I install 1/4" backerboard and then a ceramic or porcelain tile after. I suspect when I am done with the floor, this flange is near floor level. Will this cause any problems when I go to install the new toilet? Will I need to raise the flange any?

Thanks!

Old 01-05-13, 04:32 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found a product in another DIY thread that will do the trick for me.

toilet flange extender kit

set-rite.com

Old 01-05-13, 04:37 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You do need to be concerned about it but as long as your new floor will be higher than the old it should not be a big problem. Yes, it would be more proper to raise your existing toilet flange but often the trouble and expense is not worth it since toilet wax rings are available in different thicknesses. If you were previously using a standard sized ring you may just have to go to a "jumbo" thickness.

The worst scenario would be if your new flooring is thick enough that a jumbo wax ring is still not thick enough. Cheap & easy (but not really proper) is to stack two wax rings. There are also toilet flange extenders for $15-20 that you can bolt on top of your existing to make up the space.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: