Shower diverter valve burst (frozen), thinking of replace with higher end system

Old 01-04-13, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower diverter valve burst (frozen), thinking of replace with higher end system

Just bought a house that was vacant for many years and had a bunch of burst frozen pipes. We fixed them all and then found two more in the master shower - there are two showerheads there (two separate diverter valves on opposite walls). One burst in the capped off pipe going down to where a tub would be, the other side I can't see clearly enough what burst but something is leaking.

So, knowing that we're going to be opening up walls and doing some surgery, it occurred to me that this was the best possible time to upgrade the shower system to something better. It's currently the cheapest Delta on the market. It's a big shower stall (maybe 6'x8') so something with those wall sprayers would be nice in there.

The tile is honed travertine squares, I'm confident replacement tiles could be found to match. (We also need to have a tile guy put in some shelves, there is no place to put shampoo and soap!)

So, I'm wondering if anyone has a good starting place for me? I figured I could do the demolition work and then bring in a plumber to install the shower system, then a tile guy to finish everything up.

Any recommendations on where to buy a good shower system at a reasonable price? Our only "must" is it has to be dark bronze color to match the room. And I want the service parts to be easy to find down the road if we need to work on it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
You can replace or repair what is there from the back if there is access. No need to go through the tile. If you want added sprays you can just drill through the tile and add stubs from the back.

All and all you have to be mindful of the size piping and the GPM you have. Adding too many sprays may get you some less then ideal flow.

I only recommend Moen. looks good, and easy to replace the cartridges with one moving part only. Repair parts are inexpensive too. If you go high end stuff you will pay the price.

Here is a bronze valve with transfer valve for multi heads. Its a moentrol so the replacement cart in like $10 bucks.

Kingsley Oil rubbed bronze Moentrol® with transfer valve trim - T4111ORB

You still need heads and sprays.

Here are the Heads.

Showerhead & Bathroom Shower Collections by Moen

Body jets.

Moen Oil rubbed bronze body spray - A501ORB

So you see you can spen close to $2000 on fixtures.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-13, 11:44 AM
That totally helps, thanks! Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the whole set for $380? And I just need to get the 3320/3330 valve for another $120?

Moen 263ORB - Kingsley Series Vertical Spa Trim kit

Or is this not all the pieces I'll need?

Old 01-04-13, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Could be.... There are real Moens and there are Knock off Moens. If it works for you sure. Yes you will need the valve.

Old 01-04-13, 12:42 PM
I'll buy it from a reputable dealer - both HD and Lowes have that item number too. Thanks for the help, my wife is excited to see this project completed before I've even ordered anything

Old 01-04-13, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Cool.... Yes the HD and Lowes stuff are Moen knock offs. They are made overseas for the homestores. Made very cheap but allowed the Moen name. A proprietary thing.

Just sayin'..............

Old 02-04-13, 02:39 PM
Okay, I got all the pieces you mentioned (not at big box store) and am contemplating how to tackle this without tearing out the tile. I'm able to cut as big an access panel as I need (it's a closet behind the shower) but that's where I am stumped.

The current valve is mounted to a large piece of wood, probably a 2x4 laid flat to provide a firm surface to bolt the valve to. The new valve likely needs something similar. How do I do this from BEHIND this piece of wood? Does that question make sense? If I'm working from behind, how do I mount the valves?

It'll be set up like page 18 in this PDF: http://www.moen.com/assets/moencom/d...ter/MF2861.pdf