Clawfoot Tub...no ceiling room to stand HELP

Old 01-04-13, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clawfoot Tub...no ceiling room to stand HELP

Me and my boyfriend and considering renting a beautiful apartment that has a lot of character and a clawfoot tub. I have showered in clawfoot tubs before and have no issue with them, but the tub is on the top floor and and roof is slanted so you can't actually stand in the tub. I might be able to stand and be ok but my boyfriend is 6'4''. He says he has no issue with sitting in a tub to bathe. There is an attachment like shower head but its not mountable because the ceiling is so low. My question is is how can we make this work? Is there some kind of half shower curtain I can get or some shorter version of a shower mount to make it more convenient instead of having to take a bath everytime I want to shower. Any ideas would be more than welcome!

Sincerely,

clawed-up

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-13, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Are you in Europe? We've rented some fun apartments where bathing is almost bruising banging into the walls and bonking your head because you're up in the attic in what used to be the servants quarters. I don't think you will find anything on the shelf at a store that will solve your problem but it's your chance to get a little creative.

I will say as someone who shaves their head every day. Bathing in a tub $#@%s. Having something to hold the shower head even if it's duct taped to a broom handle (done that) really helps. You can cut shower curtains roughly to the angle of the ceiling and hand sew or staple them. A broom handle or wooden dowel from a hobby store or home center can become your angled shower curtain. Personally I think shower rods on angled ceilings don't work as well as screwing some small hooks or snaps into the ceiling and hooking/snapping the shower curtain.

Old 01-05-13, 07:53 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A picture would help. My aunt had a claw foot tub in Brooklyn along with a chain toilet. There were no shower attachments, in those days.

Old 01-06-13, 06:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums Alyse!

I would assume the low ceiling over a tub/shower like that would get wet, are the walls/ceiling painted with an enamel so the moisture won't harm the drywall/plaster?

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html