Bath sink leaking

Old 01-06-13, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bath sink leaking

Hi, I am having a mysterious leak from my bathroom sink that I could not figure out the source of the leak. It's an oval ceramic sink with an integral front overflow drain. The leak starts when the water is filled to half the sink height and the water comes out around the overflow drain under the sink bowl. Could it be a hair line crack that is causing the leak? There is no water around the drain pipe. I appreciate any thoughts on how I can repair this problem. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-13, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Yes it is possible you have a crack in the sink. The overflow actually goes to the drain as well and does not allow water to exit to the atmosphere as you are experiencing.

Old 01-06-13, 05:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I had a customer with similar issues. They had a slow drain in addition to a crack in the cultured marble overflow. Normal sink use, no leak. Fill half way and let go, water everywhere. There are three things you can do: pull the trap to see if you have any obstructions, Swap out the drain assembly for on that has a closed throat (not for overflow sinks), or chase the leak. I repaired the aforementioned sink with a marine based two part epoxy. It comes in a cylinder form of putty, you cut off what you need, need the putty to activate and it hardens in 10 minutes. You spread it over the questionable area and seal the leak.

Old 01-06-13, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Sure it could be a hair line crack. Fill the sink and put some food coloring in there. Then see specifically where the color is coming from.

Old 01-10-13, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I will try to detect where the leak comes from using the coloring as suggested by Lawrosa first and see where it leads me. If I do find the leak, what will be the best way to fix it? Should I use silicone to seal it or should I replace the sink? Suggestions?

Czizzi, interesting that my bath sink also had a slow drain problem as well in addition to the leak. I had pulled out the trap and cleaned it. It drains better but the leak is still a problem. I have a question about the 2 parts epoxy. Will it show on the sink after the epoxy is applied? What color will it result in? Thanks.