Problem with shower diverter

Old 01-07-13, 12:43 PM
Question Problem with shower diverter

HI everyone
I have a delta tub/shower unit, single handle, diverter under the handle. Over the weekend I heard screaming coming from the bathroom. To make a long story short, water was squirting out through the diverter stem. (It's a push in, and it pops back out when you turn the water off) This morning I took it apart to see what the problem was. The black flap on the end of the stem had come off and was stuck in the hole. Got it out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I got the pin back in it and reinstalled it. Now I have water that trickles out of the tub spout while the shower is on. I took it apart again to make sure my repair was still in tack, it was so I turned it over and tried again. Same thing. As far as I can see there is only 1 o ring and that sits at the front of the stem where it screws in. The replacement part only has 1 as well.
I cruised the net looking for similar problems. Just one and they turned theirs over and it worked fine after that. Not sure what that had to do with anything but I tried it anyway. Still leaks water from the tub spout.
I can order a new one but it won't get here for a few days. Before I install a new one, is there something I did wrong??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-13, 01:56 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. How old is the shower body?

Old 01-07-13, 01:59 PM
It's about 10 years old I think. I'd replace the whole thing but the wife likes the antique brass look and it matches the vanity faucets. To change it all would be some serious buck.

Old 01-07-13, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Our house was built in 1973 or so, I think, and we have the same type Delta in my bathroom, only in chrome. I had mine apart the other day because it was not shutting the water off from the spout completely. I turned it over....or at least I think I did...but still no complete shut off. Let us know when you figure it out. I am clueless, too.

Old 01-07-13, 04:12 PM
chandle: Dude, I was counting on you man!!!
When the kid got in the shower it worked fine. So other than that pin having pulled through the end tab, it was fine. I put a drop of crazy glue on it and pinched it shut. Let it dry an hour, put the pin in and viola, new problem. Why is it when you fix one thing, something else has to go wrong with it.
I'm going to check the big box stores tomorrow and see if I can get one. I'm sure it will be chrome, but if it works I don't care. I'll paint it

Old 01-07-13, 04:39 PM
OK, you have shamed me enough. I'll be back. I'm gonna tear it back out and inspect it to see if I can find out more.

Edit: OK, back. I think it is in the suck way Delta made the diverter. Brass waterway and expecting an unwashered flat piece of nylon to flop down and stop the water. I got my spout about 95% stopped, which makes me glad. Must have gotten it turned over this time.

Last edited by chandler; 01-07-13 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-08-13, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
I have similar problems with the diverters in my rental houses. Sometimes I've drilled a new hole in the flat plastic piece when the original is torn out. The part is rather expensive from most home centers but online I was able to find it for 1/3 the price.

Old 01-08-13, 07:29 AM
Question

Hi again

Well I trotted off to the home center this morning and bought a new one thinking why fool around. $15 later and I still have the same problem.
The new one had a little dimple in it, whereas the old one had sort of a dimple. I installed it twice, once dimple down and once dimple up. Still have water coming out the tub spout. It's exactly like the old one I took out minus where the pin had popped out.
Solved that exterior finish problem too. Took the new tab and put it on the old part, installed the new 0 ring and thought I was good to go. I even took the wife's good paring knife and cleaned out the inside of the pipe to be sure there wasn't anything in there. (What she don't know won't hurt her ) Still got water coming out the tub spout.
Maybe I should start a new post and ask if we have any BATHROOM plumbers out there. There has got to be a way to fix this. For now we shower with the dribbles.

Old 01-08-13, 07:37 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Spay some kind of cleaner inside the pipe. See if that helps make the seal. A new thread won't help since the same people will read it.

Old 01-08-13, 07:46 AM
I even thought of that Plupo. Had some comercial grade Galaxy bowl cleaner. That stuff eats through old lime scale and build up like butter floating off hot bread. I used that after my wife good knife of course, I am if nothing else, considerate The pipe is clean as a whistle.

Old 01-08-13, 09:37 AM
I'm far from impressed with the cheap tub spouts/shower diverters found in most home center-grade sets. None of mine have ever fully sealed and in a well system with much lower pressure than most city systems I don't like seeing it go down the drain instead of in my face.
A few years ago I was browsing a local old-school family-owned hardware store--the kind the Borg have all but swallowed up--and spotted a shiny hunk of chrome & brass on the shelf. It was a spout/diverter but it was machined from solid brass & weighed about 2 pounds. Very pricey at about $35 but I bought 2. No leaks now and I know if there's ever a problem it can be serviced rather than discarded.

Wish I could direct you to a mfr or a website but these were "bulk" and had no packaging or identifying markings. If you still have an old dusty corner hardware store nearby try asking there.

Old 01-08-13, 09:45 AM
Hi Guy
I asked the guy at our local hardware. They are usually pretty good at scrounging up stuff for older things. They said all they had was the one that had the plastic on the end of the diverter. Theirs was twice the price so I went to the big box.
I have contacted Delta Service Dept and asked if they have a solution. It's their faucet and their replacement parts, lets see what they come up with.

Old 01-08-13, 07:53 PM
You should also try a genuine plumbing supply. They carry the good stuff AND the cheap stuff. Big box stores only carry the cheap hollow spouts.

Old 01-09-13, 07:59 AM
I think that is the problem, It's not seating the way it's suppose to. We used to have a great retail plumbing supply company about 1/2 hour for me, but they went out of business the year before last. I had gone there hoping to get a good set of kitchen faucets. Your are right the BB stores carry mostly crap. The stuff they do have you can buy the same thing on-line for 1/3 their price.

I did take a look at new shower/tub sets. The kind that has the push stem right under the handle evidently doesn't exist any more. And the shower heads look like they came off some old sprinkling can and somebody smacked them flat. The diverter on the tub spout is a pain in the butt. It's almost impossible to turn it on and off without getting your head soaked. I have a wife and 2 girls, need I say more?
Still waiting to hear from Delta.

Old 01-09-13, 08:59 AM
LOL--frustrating isn't it? The Borg chains cater to the lowest denominator & get rich off the 80% market, while forcing the ma & pa stores into bankruptcy. Don't get me wrong--I spend more time in the aisles at HD & Lowes than the others combined. Mostly looking for something I think is quality & a good value :-\

Recently I took a walk through a "Kitchen & Bath Design Center" where I was treated to displays of $1000 kitchen faucet sets that looked like they belong in the Museum of Modern Art. Not for me--I guess I like the middle of the road and those outlets are disappearing fast.

Old 01-09-13, 09:04 AM
My local hardware carries Moen. The only problem, they have 1 set, no choices. What the Heck is that.

Old 01-09-13, 02:31 PM
Got a replacement pushbutton with the nylon paddle at HD today for $9.35. I'll put it in later and let you know if I got ripped or not.

Old 01-09-13, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
How about a pic???? Because I kind of think I know what you guys are talking about but possibly not......

Old 01-09-13, 04:54 PM
lawrosa

It's a pretty simple mechanism. It's a stem that has a spring inside it. When pushed in, it drops the plastic end over the hole inside the pipe. Usually found on a single handle unit. The hole inside the pipe is constructed so that the circle inside seats around the seat on the plastic tab. See Pic.
For whatever reason water is not all being diverted to the shower head. It's not a lot running back out the spout, just enough to drive you nuts. Something I noticed this morning. The water coming out the spout tends to come out toward the back as well as coming straight down. It's the same direction the water goes when it's being diverted to the shower. I tried to get one while the shower was on but all I got was the spout all wet. See the little stream of water at the very back of the spout? It's like something is parting the water flow. That is about what you get when the shower is on too. Kinda like a fast dribble.
Is that what you are getting Chandler?

Attached Images   
Old 01-09-13, 07:09 PM
Yeah, that's what I am getting. I installed the new one and the spring action isn't strong enough to release it when I turn off the water. Bummer. Maybe Mike has some suggestions.

Old 01-09-13, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
That button is on the faceplate under the handle????

Old 01-10-13, 03:34 AM
Yep. Push in type. I just installed the new one and it hangs up. Bummer.

Old 01-10-13, 08:18 AM
lawrose
Here is what it looks like. I put the chrome one back in so you could see the contrast better.

Chandler
Can you pull the pin out if the end completely to get at the spring? My spring works fine, just something isn't seating right. Still waiting on Delta. I did get an auto e-mail saying they got mine, so maybe soon.

Attached Images  
Old 01-10-13, 05:11 PM
I think I have mine about licked. You have to press the button in while you tighten the collar or the tab will twist in the hole and cause it to bind. Once I held it centered properly and tightened the collar I only get a little trickle, but much better shower pressure than before.

Old 01-11-13, 08:28 AM
GI2 If I remember right I think that's how I put mine in too. I've had it in and out about 25 times now. Once because I couldn't remember if I trimmed the pipe tape away from the mechanism. Turns out I had, but since I unscrewed it I had to do it over again.

I put a little sign on the bathroom door. "The shower leaks a little from the spout. If that is a problem for any of you, please shower at somebody else's house. Thank you The Establishment." Amazing, I haven't heard a peep out of any of them since.

Old 01-19-13, 10:58 AM
Update on the Diverter
Finally heard back from the Delta folks. According to them it must be a defective part, they are sending me a new one. I suspect this will not fix the problem; but we'll see.

How did you make out with yours Chandler???

Old 01-19-13, 11:46 AM
I put the new one in, but now it is hammering when I push it in and it won't release on it's own spring power. 'Nuther day. I'll let you know when I tear it down again.

Old 01-19-13, 11:51 AM
Not sure why you keeping having spring issues. My spring works fine, the diverter on the other hand SUCKS. Did you take it apart and check the spring? Almost sounds like the spring is too long. Maybe squashing (adding tension) it down with the pliers would make it works better.

Old 01-19-13, 11:59 AM
Spring action is outward, and it is a new unit. I may put the old one back in to see if it was defective from the beginning. Same trickle of water you are experiencing on both old and new diverters. There's NO spring that would put enough pressure to release the valve. I have to pull like crazy to get it to come out.

Old 01-19-13, 12:06 PM
Ok, Got ya. I thought you meant you couldn't get it to push in far enough to stay.
If they made that same finish today I'd go buy a whole new set for the tub and shower. Problem is they don't. Not to mention the shower heads they have now look like smashed sprinkler heads. I suppose being that flat they disperse the water more, but I hate how they look.

Old 01-19-13, 05:47 PM
I put the old one back in and will live with it until I decide to install a new valve body. At least it doesn't hammer and it releases when I turn the water off. Same size trickle from spout, so it's a wash.

Old 01-20-13, 07:24 AM
Sometimes I think they make replacement parts a little defective just so you give up an buy brand new stuff.
My new part won't be here for about 2 weeks so I'll get back to you and see what they send. Til then