Bathtub diverter spout or faucet issue?

Old 01-13-13, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub diverter spout or faucet issue?

My wife was taking a shower last night and she started yelling at me to come in (she was freezing). She said she was switching the water flow from the shower head to the spout and it suddenly stopped flowing all together. Neither cold or hot, except for a little drip. I replaced the spout just a couple of years ago and the shaft was always pretty hard to push under water pressure. She is the type that breaks everything in the house, and blames me for messing with it previously, which happened in this time.

I can't see how the water would stop flowing completely because of the spout, however, the wife appears to be honest in her testimony that it all happened when she pushed the diverter shaft. I'm really hoping it's not the faucet.

All other places, including at the sink right next to the tub, everything works fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-13, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Yes typically there would be no half way point with the spout. Either the shower would work or the tub... or half and half if you set it just right.

What brand faucet is it? Take a pic....

Old 01-13-13, 06:32 AM
The water now flows ok on the cold side, I swear it wasn't this way last night. The cover says american standard. This appears to be the model, however, how can I determine which part is faulty? http://m.americanstandard-us.com/ass...Parts_1616.pdf

Here are the pics:Name:  01132013298[1].jpg
Views: 898
Size:  23.0 KBName:  01132013303[1].jpg
Views: 731
Size:  20.7 KB

Last edited by xxhaimbondxx; 01-13-13 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-13-13, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
This part is faulty.......

M952100-0070A
PRESSURE BALANCING UNIT

Home store has them.

American Standard Pressure Balance Unit for Single-Control Tub/Shower Valve M952100-0070A at The Home Depot

Old 01-13-13, 08:32 AM
Thanks, I came to the same conclusion once I took the cartridge off and checked all the supply valves. Strange thing, without the cartridge, only the hot water drips. Once I put the cartridge on, the cold water is a full blast and the hot water drips.

Should I replace the o-rings on the cartridge as well, if they are serviceable?

Darn it, online item only. Will have to wait.

Last edited by xxhaimbondxx; 01-13-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-13-13, 03:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Darn it, online item only. Will have to wait.
That doesn't look like a part that should be hard to find. Have you checked the stock at your local home store(s) by calling them, by stopping by, or by logging onto the local store's site? They usually have more in the store than the online site offers, IMX.

You can also check with the plumbing supply stores near you.

Old 01-13-13, 04:38 PM
I took it apart and removed the obstacle that was restricting the water flow. Some small piece of rubber was stuck in one of the inlets, doesn't look like it's related to the pressure unit, kinda soft and sticky, being deteriorated. In the process I destroyed the pressure regulator, so it probably doesn't offer the convenience of pressure regulation anymore, however, still usable, so I put it back together.

I've ordered the part from Amazon, since I already had a pending order with them, rather than driving all over the town looking for this thing. Homedepot site says it's online only. Lowes don't seem to carry them online, not sure about store. I'll stop by tomorrow after work and if they have it, I'll cancel the Amazon order.