Jules.Bartow: Moen Faucet Problem

Old 01-13-13, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jules.Bartow: Moen Faucet Problem

You'd think telling a woman that what she really needs is a man when she's at Lowes or Home Depot asking how to fix things, that I'd get in trouble for being a misogynist sexist. As kelagu implies, and experience demonstrates, I've gotten more invites and dates to a woman's home than I ever have at a bar or online dating. Unfortunately, in this case Moen, actually won't help me or you hook up.

I replaced one of my girlfriend's Moen 1225B cartridge in an attempt to get hot water to her shower head --she was complaining that the cold only water was causing, ahem...shrinkage.

I used the Moen # 104421 Puller to extract the cartridge, which turned out to have nothing wrong with it. Hot water makes it to the control valve, because it flows well through the backflow check valve, where the left-most screw is unscrewed. I used a towel stuffed in the tile hole & plastic to divert water away from inside of wall. Hot water never makes it through the interior passageway to the cartridge hole (the 2nd from the left). Cold water runs out of the cartridge hole, but no hot water, when the cartridge is removed and both hot water and cold water are turned back on at the main.I even tried sticking a coat hanger bent at the end into the hot water passageway expecting to free up lime and calcium deposits --still nothing.

Be careful not to score the where the cartridge rides with the coat hanger.

We even tried putting a dime in the shower head, turning off pressure to the hot water heater (in the process having to solder in a new shut off valve when the 49-year old shaft snapped), and opening hot water faucets in the hope that back pressure would free up deposits or sediment stuck in the Moen valve. No joy.

I'd offer to trade control valve assemblies with yours, but hot water scalding seems worse than cold water shrinkage.

When you unsolder (MAPP gas in a yellow bottle creates a hotter flame than propane in a blue bottle) be careful you don't burn down the house. Use flame proof blankets to line the walls and 2x4 studs with.

In addition to solder and a torch, you'll need flux, an interior " wire brush, an exterior " wire brush, and perhaps some 120-grit sandpaper to replace your troublesome Moen faucet with a Delta faucet. I'd offer to come over and help, but more than 6-girlfriends at a time has proven troublesome in the past.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-14-13 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Edit title.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-13, 04:26 PM
Moen 1225 No Hot Water

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7867[/ATTACH]Moen # 104421 Cartridge Puller works great for removing stuck 1222 or 1225 cartridges. Didn't help me get hot water by replacing the cartridge. Something is clogging the passageway between the hot water backflow stop-check valve (1st from left) and the cartridge passageway (2nd from left).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7866[/ATTACH]Next likely suspect, from http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/3170pt.pdf, is the #1423 Balancing Spool (3rd from left) with big screw slot. Is there a special tool to loosen it, since a regular flat head screwdriver is about a tenth the size of the slot? Someone suggested impact screwdriver, which I have, but not with a 1" long tip. Others have suggested a chisel. I was thinking of cutting a piece of angle iron...

Attached Images   

Last edited by Jules.Bartow; 01-13-13 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-14-13, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You weren't getting water from the hot water side, because the flow control screw was turned almost off. The position of the screw head should be in the direction of the flow of water. Probably nothing wrong with the valve itself. This is also nearly a 5 year old thread.

Old 01-14-13, 03:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No hot water because the hot water flow control screw is turned almost off. Screw head should be in the direction of the flow of water. Need to start your own threads and make one thread on a single problem rather than two. We read them all.

Old 01-14-13, 06:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Post moved to its own thread.

Suggest you use cell phones. No yelling required.

Old 01-14-13, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Merged these threads. This pics was taken from an old post and not original to the OP from what I can see.

May close this thread, but will wait and see.....

Old 01-14-13, 06:57 AM
Thumbs up Hot Water Loss not caused by Cartridge. Jammed Balancing Spool Piston the Cause

It turns out the piston inside the #1423 Balancing Spool had locked up due to lack of use. CLR, PB Blaster, and judicious use of a light hammer fixed the problem. The big screw for the balancing spool is best loosened with a small pry bar and a crescent wrench where the wide head of the pry bar acts as a screw driver.

Replacing the 1225B cartridge did not fix the problem.

This posting was originally written in response to a woman that said she needed help because she was female.