Water Damage Outside of Shower Stall

Old 01-14-13, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water Damage Outside of Shower Stall

Our recently (around 6 months ago) renovated basement bathroom has a tiled shower stall with a glass door. Water damage has been slowly appearing on the baseboards and lower portion of the wall adjacent to the glass door. Upon first noticing the signs of damage, I had a seal strip placed on the door. That still did not work, however, as the damage has kept growing. Are there any products out there that might solve this problem (i.e., seals/coatings on the baseboards or walls to protect against water damage)? If not, would tiling that outside area be a viable option or could the problem be coming from a leak inside the shower itself?

Any help is much appreciated!

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-13, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Being that low, it appears the pvc liner has failed. You may want to really dry out the shower and silicone the corner of the base along the side of the berm on the inside. It also, being at floor level could be exit water falling from wet bodies onto the tile and not getting wiped up immediately, just not sure.

Old 01-15-13, 05:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Couldn't tell from the pics but the walls should have a latex enamel on them. Enamel will repel moisture but most flat latex paints will absorb moisture.

Old 01-15-13, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! I may do both (seal inside with silicone and clean/repaint outside with latex enamel) just to be on the safe side.