Loop vent height for kitchen island sink

Old 01-22-13, 08:14 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Loop vent height for kitchen island sink

I have a 2-tier kitchen island that houses the only sink in the kitchen. I'm considering replace it with a longer single level island. The second tier of the existing island is constructed by 2x4 and drywall. about 42" in height. It hides all the plumbing and electrical for the sink, disposal and dishwasher in the island. I cut part of the drywall opened today to check out how the sink is vented. As expected, I saw the loop vent hidden inside the drywall. The loop vent is constructed by two 90 degree 2" elbows PVC instead of a 45 degree - 90 degree - 45 degree combination. So, there is a short PVC lies horizontally at the peak of the loop vent. The height of the loop vent is 38" from the floor. So, it is a few inches higher than the countertop of the lower lever. Can anyone tell me is it required by code to have the loop vent higher than the top of the sink? Can I lower the loop vent to 34.5" so I can build a single level island? BTW, I live just outside of Chicago.

Thanks,

Keith

Old 01-23-13, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Its supposed to be above the sink drain, not the sink itself from what I know.

Old 01-24-13, 09:07 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Thanks lawrosa! I found the plumbing inspector for my town. He said there's no code for the height of the loop vent, just as high as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: