Tough to turn shower handle & water flow issue

Old 01-16-13, 05:37 AM
Tough to turn shower handle & water flow issue

Parents had a plumber come out ( dads friend from the bar actually ) to replace the hot & cold valves and valve seat on their shower. In the process they also had 2 shutoffs put on the lines in the basement.
Well I just noticed a few things.

1. The hot water handle is VERY tough to turn. Like seriously a child under 10 i doubt would be able to turn the faucet on.
2. I could have the handle fully open on either the cold or hot and the water comes out the same as if it was turned 1/8th of the way. It never did this before.

What is going on here?

The set up is just a stand in shower stall with 2 handles ( hot & cold ). Thats it.

Last edited by delease; 01-16-13 at 06:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-13, 06:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!

Obviously your "plumber" installed the wrong cartridges, if it takes cartridges, or the wrong (too long) stems. Do you have the original stems still? I would go to the basement, turn off the valves, return to the shower and pull one or both of the stems and compare them in length. Let us know how that goes.

Last edited by chandler; 01-16-13 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 06:33 AM
No he took the stems I believe. I do remember what the old ones look like as I was replacing the washers on it constantly before they decided to get it replace.

Might take it apart and see if it resembles the old ones.

Would that be the reason for the tightness on the one handle or for the water flow problem with them?

I should also note when I said he is a plumber, he is actually a plumber. Not just the local bar fly handyman lol. Yet I am starting to question that since it took him and his helper 5 hours to do all of what I listed.

Last edited by delease; 01-16-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-16-13, 07:14 AM
They will all look similar, it is just the length basically that will cause the low water flow and tightness. The collar nut may be too tight, as the packing under it may be pressing too hard on the stem to allow it to move freely. You may have to remove the handle and escutcheon to relieve the pressure a little.
Yeah, I'd hold them side by side just to make sure.

Old 01-16-13, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Take a pic...............................................

Old 01-24-13, 12:35 PM
Sorry it has been a while. I decided NOT to take it apart because I felt since the job wasn't finished that my father needed to contact the guy and have him come back and fix it. Well my father got in contact with the guy and the guy told him no, its up to him ( my father ) to fix it. I am a tad bit fuming right now. Should I be? He was paid $235 to replace the two valves & put on two shut offs on the line. I knew I had a reason to be cautious when it took them, yes two of them, near 5 hours to do this.

Old 01-24-13, 04:03 PM
"Fuming" is a good word. No excuse for bad work, especially since it was paid for and not a "bar favor" thing. $47 per hour probably wasn't his "professional" pricing, but still the job should have been done right.

OK, are you ready to take them apart, now. Forget this clown, and let's get 'r done.