Are there two different size washing machine valves?

Old 01-19-13, 10:43 AM
Are there two different size washing machine valves?

My washing machine hot and cold water valves both leak around the stem, so I went to Home Depot to buy 2 news ones. I picked up Washing Machine Compression 1/2" (5/8" OD) valves. When I took the first one off, the new one's OD treads are smaller than the compression nut of the existing one.

Beyond going back to HD and trying to explain in sign language, what do I tell the guy? I went on their website and couldn't find something that appeared to be just a bit larger. BTW, the washing machine is at my cabin in the mountains; my weekend retreat and 45 minutes from the HD.

Just for info, the existing ones look just like the one I have in every way except the threads look finer and slighly larger in OD.

Thank you for the help:
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-13, 12:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Steve, did you get this valve set up, or individual valves. I like this version since you can cut both valves off with one motion. Do you have an in-wall box, or (since it is a cabin) are the valves out in the open where you can see them? They may have been hooked up to standard 3/4" hose bibs which have a larger inlet to them than the normal valves for washers. 1/2 in. Brass MPT x MHT Dual Washing Machine Valve with IPS-VWMDUAF3B at The Home Depot

Old 01-19-13, 12:29 PM
Let me describe the configuration. Two, looks like 1/2" copper pipes about 4" apart come out of the wall, have those chrome covers over the copper pipe, and on each is a compression-fit valve that is chrome with a chrome handle and the outlet is the size of the washing machine hoses. I was hoping just to replace the two valves but the standard valves are not right for the current valves on there, and these is no room to remove the ferrels and replace them with the new ones. BTW, the new valves I bought, the ferrel fit over the pipe end; just in case that helps.

Old 01-20-13, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
You will need to post a pic.... It sounds like a washer shut off but compression and you are trying to adapt...

Let us know.

Old 01-21-13, 01:00 PM
I called a plumbing supply house today; they were open, went over and found out this is an old washer valve they no longer make. The guy said last made in the early 80's. He told me I need to remove the old nut and ferrel and install the new, common 1/2" valve. He sold me a nut and ferrel remover; looks like a puller. Will do it next Sunday; will let you know if it works.