Loose Toilet / Broken Flange Repair [NEWBIE]

Old 01-25-13, 01:19 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loose Toilet / Broken Flange Repair [NEWBIE]

Greetings

We have a toilet that's been a 'rockin. I bought replacement 1/4 nuts and plastic covers only to discover that the flange on one side is broken. I was planning on getting a flange repair kit vs. replacing the entire flange. The floor is tile, and there is a gap between the flange and the tile, say a little less than 1/2 inch (hard to see, but visible in picture). I don't know what to fill this gap with - it looks like some of the wax was in there from the original install job? What does this gap need to be filled with, if anything - or is it just a matter of setting a new wax ring down, then re-installing the bowl. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 01-25-13, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The flange looks like its there. Its hard to see in the pic and the type of pipe material.....

Clean it up some and remove all the wax. Then post back with better pics.

Old 01-26-13, 06:42 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok cleaned up more wax, took a couple more shots. Resolution isn't great due to file size limitations here. Also uploaded higher resolution images to imageshack:

Attached Images   
Old 01-26-13, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
You can leave that like it is and get these bolts that screw through the sub floor and are not held by the flange.

Or you can break that flange completely off and use a repair flange like this.... It with wrap around the horn of the pipe. I then make sure I add screws like the old flange to secure it to the floor.

Then also have little half rings that you place ontop of the old flange. You need to secure with screws through to the sub floor.

You may be able to slip them under the old flange but I would still secure it because of that crack on the old flange.

Hope this all helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: