Tub faucet reach not long enough

Old 01-21-13, 10:11 AM
Tub faucet reach not long enough

My house is about 10 years old and when built the tub faucet was never close enough to the tub. At first the water runs fine but then the water pressure seems to fluctuate and the water moves back as it's poring into the tub causing water to spill out. The faucet is a Delta and about 8'5" reach.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair this, it's a tile surround so no way to move the faucet up without ripping out tile. I'm putting the house on the market thus my sudden need to get this repaired.

Thank you!Name:  photo(3).jpg
Views: 6522
Size:  25.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-13, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Was it pointed out in an inspection? If not I doubt it's the sort of thing to get caught. Other than letting it go you can shop for a different spout with a longer reach.

Old 01-21-13, 01:14 PM
Temporarily Suspended
1‑800‑345‑DELTA (3358).

Delta may have an extender.

Old 01-21-13, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I too would search to see if Delta has a larger Roman tub spout that can be retro fitted onto the current rough in. Should be attached with a set screw that would allow you to interchange the new faucet with the old. Many of Delta's faucets use "universal" rough in's that allow multiple trim kits to be installed with the same base body.

Old 01-25-13, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I've contacted a Delta supplier here and they said I had the longest spout at 8.5 inches. I guess I'll try to call the 800 number.

Can anything be welded to it to increase the length?

Old 01-25-13, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator
Best you can do IMO is buy a new faucet. They drilled the holes wrong on yours. A different brand may have longer spouts.

Old 01-25-13, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Or find out why the water pressure is fluctuating? If it works fine initially, there may be a simple fix. Are you on a well or city water? Do you have a pressure regulating valve in the system?

Maybe you just need to replace cartridges in the valves?

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-25-13 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-25-13, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Worst case you might contact a local artist that works with metal. See if they can make something for you that looks decent and has a longer reach. Seriously though is this a big problem? The existing spout has been used for 10 years.

Old 01-26-13, 02:41 PM
Yes, I'm on well water
Yes, it's going to be a big deal to home inspector... I'm putting the house on the market. I've seen only a small part of what they do and filling up the tub will be something he/she does.

Great ideas, I'm going to ask someone to look at why the water is fluctuating but it's been doing that for as long as the house has been here. Delta said they may have one that will reach but it's $500 so tearing out tile will probably be my best bet after the water is checked. I found 10 pieces in the attic.

Thanks everyone!!