How can I remove cast iron sink mounted under Corian countertop

Old 01-12-13, 08:44 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post How can I remove cast iron sink mounted under Corian countertop

I need to replace my old, heavy Kohler porcelein/cast iron sink that was mounted under our Corian solid surface countertop. The underside of the sink rim is supported by 3/4" X 12" long wood strips screwed through the strips into the vertical cabinet walls on each side of the sink opening - not the usual clip method.The clearance between the sides of the sink and the wood strips is tight (let than 1") and I cannot get to the screws to release those strips, so I can drop the sink. I'm befuddled by this thorny problem which someone might have grappled with and can assist me.

Old 01-12-13, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Best to remove the counter top. Thats probably how it was installed.....

Old 01-12-13, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Maybe a sawsall and a metal cutting blade? Cut the screws?

Old 01-12-13, 10:22 AM
A
Thanks, Gunguy. I also thought of that approach but suspect the depth of the sink and the clearance issue will prevent my getting up far enough with a Sawzall blade to reach those screws. I'll have to measure and maybe see if I can find a longer than standard Sawzall blade - maybe 9" instead of the standard 5-6"? Two other thoughts: 1) Locate the screws adjacent to the sink sides, then drill a hole from inside the sink through the porcelain and cast iron to expose the screws, then unscrew (while of course havig the sink well-supported) or 2) Using a heavy pry-bar, pry away the wood supports (assuming I have enough room) - essentially stripping them away the screws.

Thanks much again for your time and advice.

Old 01-12-13, 10:26 AM
A
Hi, Lew -

Yes, it was installed that way, and a removal would be the ideal method. But, the Corian top is an "L" of about 8 foot X 7 foot, in one piece, and I'm pretty sure it would come apart at the juncture and end up costing hundreds of $$ to repair, not to mention the time involved needing a counter top professional who do not work on the weekend - and I promised the wife I'd do the job today and/or tomorrow.

Last edited by anewparadigm; 01-12-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-27-13, 10:09 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I found 18" and 20" long phillips screwdrivers with a web search.

Old 01-27-13, 10:16 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oh...they're screwed horizontally...

Chip away part of the wood strips and use a bolt cutter?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: