Plumber's Putty vs Silicone Sealant

Old 01-31-13, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumber's Putty vs Silicone Sealant

Hello,
I am going to mount a ceramic vessel sink (white) on top of a vanity. The vanity top will be all wood with a good 1/2 dozen coats of poly to seal it. To mount the sink on top of the "counter" I am told I could use silicone sealant but I also heard I could use plumber's putty. Wouldn't I want to use the sealant around the sink and the putty just to mount the faucet? The faucet is also going to mounted on the counter top.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-13, 08:52 AM
I looked into this recently and the answer is: It's up to you. Plumber's putty is easier to scrape off if you ever have to, but silicone creates a better seal that some say is especially important with today's less perfectly fitting parts. The metal rim of my sink is leaking the the super told me to pry it away from the counter top just enough to get silicone under it. Sounds like a good idea. It was installed in the mid 60s, probably with plumber's putty.

Old 01-31-13, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 174 Posts
I'd use silicone. Once it cures it will act like adhesive holding the sink in place. With plumbers putty you still have to secure the sink somehow.

Old 01-31-13, 09:11 AM
Woodworkers sometimes put polyurethane over linseed oil on wood, so I don't think the oil in plumber's putty would react badly with the coating on your top as it does with some plastics.

Old 01-31-13, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
I'd go silicone as well - putty is not an adhesive and you want something which is.

Pretty much what PD said in post # 3.

Old 01-31-13, 09:53 AM
I appreciate it. I did not know that the putty wouldn't really adhere the sink to the top of the vanity. I will also look into linseed oil. I am a novice (read super duper beginner) woodworker and I take all of the advice I can get. This is a powder room that I am doing so I want things to hold up nicely.

Old 01-31-13, 10:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
You can't apply linseed over your poly. One thing you might do [if you haven't already is to apply a coat of poly to the cut edge or if it sets directly on the top, to the drain and supply holes. The more you protect the wood from moisture the better.