Moen Shower Handle Slips

Old 01-31-13, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moen Shower Handle Slips

I have a single-handle Moen Positemp shower faucet. It's only 6 months old and when I turn the handle, there seems to be a slight hesitation or slipping before the lever engages and moves. I've removed the set screw and handle and all seems to be tight and OK with the plastic cogs and the interior pegs inside the handle. Moen has replaced the handle and cogs already which seems to fix it for a while but it has occurred again. What am I missing?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-13, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Not sure of your actual issue. Are you talking about extra play in the handle? What type of handle is it? Did you remove the black plastic piece also to access the actual cartridge stem?

Old 01-31-13, 04:30 PM
It is a tear-drop shape chrome handle. I removed the black plastic piece and checked it's seating next to the white plastic piece - all seemed fine. I did remove the pieces to access the actual valve but went no further since the problem didn't seem to lie with the valve. I guess "extra play" in the handle would be a reasonable description of the problem.

Old 02-06-13, 09:02 AM
Hi Movieman,
I seem to be having the same is Moen Posi Temp Shower Faucet. Last summer, my handle started 'slipping' ( have a little play before it grabs kinda thing). But a little while longer and it eventually didn't grab at all and I could spin the handle around a full 360 degrees without any water turning on. I had the building plumber come in and he changed the cartridge (1222b) and it seem to cure the problem.

Recently I have been getting more and more play.. and now sometimes it slips and I can't turn the water off.. or I cant turn it on without playing with the handle a bit.

Worried that it will end up no longer grabbing and being stuck with no water again ( or worse yet... not being able to shut the water off).

I will try to call Moen for a replacement cartridge... but Im not sure if this is the problem? any ideas?