Waxless Toilet Seal Ideas?

Old 02-05-13, 06:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Waxless Toilet Seal Ideas?

I have a large number of toilets in my rental houses on old floors that are not rock solid. Consequently traditional wax rings fail at an alarming rate. Does anyone know of waxless or other products I should try.

I've tried Fernco like pictured below but it requires fanatical cleaning to get to stick to a toilet that has previously had a wax ring and I'm getting failures when installed on both new and old toilets so I'd like to try something new.

Old 02-05-13, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Set the toilets in plaster.... Wax seals are best IMO. Make sure the flange is secured to the floor and cannot move.

Setting in plaster allows you to set on an uneven floor. No shimms required.

Dry fit toilet and mark line around toilet base. Mix plaster thick/soupy and apply around your pencel mark where the base was. Install toilet and plaster will mush out. Tighten bolts snug, then take edge of putty knife and score a line around the base. Let dry. The plaster will easily lift from around the base.

This will give firm support and prevent any rock and rolling.....

I have been setting toilets like this for 26 years now. I never shimmed a toilet... Ever!!!

Old 02-05-13, 07:44 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
There was a thread recently (within the last month) regarding using a different product for highrise buildings (believe it was a condo here in Canada in that thread).
Not sure what the outcome was of that thread.

Edit:
Found the thread. Not much good info in it, but there is a member there who's brother in-law has used the rubber units instead of the wax. A PM may be in order.
Here is the thread: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...partments.html

Old 02-05-13, 08:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
The plaster idea sounds good since I'm certain the problem is movement. I have to do the same thing with showers & tubs to prevent them from flexing. It should do the same for a toilet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: