Shower Pan Drain - Intallation Problem

Old 02-03-13, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower Pan Drain - Intallation Problem

Hi all. First of, allow me to thank all of you in advance for any help you can give me. Here is my situation. Recently I decided to replace my bathtub with a new Cultivated Marble Shower Pan. I purchased a new one, same dimentions as the bathtub and drain in same location(left side), I thought it would be a simple swap, no major modifications if any at all. I even thought I would be able to use the same drain. Well, needless to say the drains on bathtubs and showers dont have the same size.

The issue I am having is with the drain installation. The bathroom is in a first floor and has a concrete slab. The drain conection to the bathtub required very little depth, a couple of inches. You all know how they look, an inside threaded 90 degrees elbow running back to the drain pipe and you screw the drain from the top of the bathtub. The shower drain on the other hand requires me to have at least 8 to 12 inches space below the slab to acomodate all the Shower Drain Connections, space which I dont have unless I do some major digging / modifications.

Here is my question. Is there a Shower Drain Conection that is the equivalent of the Bathtub Drain conection. Something that would allow me to do so with a shallow hole in the slab. Hopefully I am explaining myself correctly and you know what I am talking about. Looking online I found a picture of something kind of what I would need, but it has no description of the drain conection size, or even where I could get one for that matter. Here is the link to the picture I found.
http://www.impeyshowers.com/ImageGen....jpg&width=452

Any help / comments / advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-13, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sad to say a shower drain is 2" and your tub was 1 1/2", and you can't connect the shower to the tub drain. You will need to locate where you can tie into a larger drain pipe, bust up a little concrete, lay in your new 2" drain, reconcrete over the area, except where the ptrap is located, then install your new pan.
I run into it when doing estimates for exactly what you are doing. It costs extra, so I have to plan on it.

Old 02-04-13, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I was hoping I wouldn't have to hear that. I know I can't connect my 2 inch shower drain directly to the 1.5 inch bathtub outlet. I was planning on using a reduction. Would that cause some kind of problem.

The other issue I am having is that space is really an issue, I only have about 13 inches of horizontal space from the shower drain to the conection, and all standard conections are really bulky, are there some sort of low profile conections I can use.

Once again thanks for the help.