Temporary shower wall

Old 02-05-13, 01:21 PM
Temporary shower wall

I'm not sure if a full remodel is in the budget right at this moment but, my shower is trying to force my hand. Its got an old (1966) 3 handle setup and the hot stem went bad. So, since I can't find the stem, I'm going to replace the valve and faucet with a nice new shiny moen (or delta) single handle. This involves me removing that wall which is currently sheetrock with tile glued on. (it is a horrible job btw, that contractor should be shot)

Anyhow, since I'm not sure I can do a whole remodel including new tub, etc., but I AM sure I need to get this shower operational again, I'm just going to take that wall down, replace the plumbing and put back a temporary wall. What would the suggestion be? I was thinking 1/2" OSB with some acrylic sheeting over top.

Any ideas?

by "temporary" I mean, something that will hold up for possibly a year or so.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-13, 01:58 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Where did you look for the stem? Did you try plumbing supplies? What's behind that wall? Isn't there a closet? Why would have to remove the entire wall, for a shower body? Can you post a pic of the entire wall?

Old 02-05-13, 02:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
More than likely it would be a lot easier to remove the drywall on the other side of the bath wall and do all your plumbing from that side. Not sure a single handle faucet would work but you can still get the 2 handle ones and a little creative thinking will give you a way to seal the middle hole.

I agree with Pulpo that going to a plumbing supply house might find the part you need to repair the existing faucet. Big box store's plumbing dept only stock what is more commonly used.

Old 02-05-13, 02:12 PM
How'd you know there was a closet behind that wall? That was a cool trick!

I didn't check a plumbing supply store for two reasons:
1) this antiquated part is probably $50 and I can almost get a new faucet for that and
2)the diverter stem feels like its going to take a dump soon too

the 3 way valve is below the closet. well, this will be complicated. I'll take pics tonight when I get home.

Old 02-05-13, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How'd you know there was a closet behind that wall?
BTDT too many times to count on fingers and toes.

Old 02-05-13, 05:23 PM
Pics

Ok, here is the front of the shower wall:
Name:  2013-02-05 20.10.06.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  24.7 KB

And here is the inside of that wall, located in our 3 foot deep closet! damn 1966 builders...
Name:  2013-02-05 20.09.41.jpg
Views: 2926
Size:  24.6 KB

Here is a shot below the closet. This is the ceiling above the second story stairs so there's a slant. There's not much room inside here so, I'd have to take the bottom most shelf out from the closet to expose the shower valve from above. This is an access hole I originally cut for the purpose of catching a rogue mouse in our walls (a story for another thread, but, it was a success).
Name:  2013-02-05 20.10.43.jpg
Views: 2235
Size:  25.0 KBName:  2013-02-05 20.11.04.jpg
Views: 2538
Size:  27.5 KB

I honestly don't want to replace the three handle with a two handle because ultimately, we WILL remodel this whole bathroom (all 64 sq ft of it ) and I'd rather just purchase something that will be used post-renovation.

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't think of an easier way to do this. I -with some help from you all- completely gutted our basement powder room, moved the wall out 3 feet, blew out the concrete floor to rough in a shower drain, built a shower stall 100% from scratch, tile shower floor/curb, tile bathroom floor, sheetrock, recessed lighting and, completely new electrical. And here I am asking about a shower valve. I'm not worthy of my tool belt!!!!! seriously though, this community is really awesome. glad to have you all here.

Old 02-05-13, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does that access give you room to get to the valve in question? Looks a little short to me. Meaning closet isn't deep enough to reach the other side of the tub.

Old 02-05-13, 05:35 PM
The depth of the closet looks short in the pic but it goes all the way to the back shower wall.

I cannot easily reach the valve. I got that sharkbite cap on the hot pipe with only my left hand and arm fully extended inside the access hole. To remove the existing valve will require me to remove the plywood top of that access area which is effectively, the base of the closet. not too big a deal, its just plywood.

Old 02-05-13, 06:13 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would rather remove everything in that closet than to touch that tile. It's much easier.