Toilet flange / floor rotted question

Old 02-05-13, 08:49 PM
Toilet flange / floor rotted question

I had a leak in the wax ring of my toilet and it ruined some of the floor underneath the toilet. I had to cut out about 18" of floor around the flange. My floor joists are 16" OC. I have yet to cut off my PVC toilet flange (its glued to the outside of the pipe). I'm wondering if I have to remove the toilet flange?

Do I need to replace the 18" x 16" piece of floor in one piece, or can I do it in "2 pieces" and splice the floor around the existing flange? would this provide enough support for the toilet if I use 2 pieces instead of 1 piece?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-13, 06:45 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
Yes, you can do the repair sheeting in two pieces to slide under the existing toilet flange. Make sure that you cut back the existing flooring to be half on the joists leaving the other half of the joist exposed to support your new sheeting. Tongue and groove sheeting is good for where the two halves of your repair meet. You can also screw a board to the bottom of the sheeting along the joint to make sure you don't have flexing/movement at the joint.

Depending on the thicknesses you have to work with I like some of the modern, premium OSB products like Advantech. They are more dense & stronger than traditional boards and highly water resistant.

Old 02-06-13, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the reply!

One other detail I left out...I do have access to the flange / drain pipe from the basement.

The floor is 3/4" tounge & groove. The piece of flooring that I removed is about 18" long (I cut it 16" wide for my floor joists). The current position of the toilet flange is rouch 12" from the wall. If I use 2 pieces and sandwich the flange, one piece would be about 12" long, the other piece would be roughly 6" long. Would the 6" piece provide enough support, or should I cut the floor back another 6" to make them both 12" sections for more support?

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 02-06-13, 08:52 PM
Lightbulb

I agree with Pilot Dane on the floor repair work...since the flange needs to rest on top of the finished floor...One question I have is why you had a leak in the first place...Was your flange mounted too low? like directly to the sub-floor? One of the main things I have seen over the years is that a vast majority of toilet flanges are not installed correctly and that is what causes the leaking toilet which could slowly leaking for years until you have the dreaded structural repair you describe...the 'old fix' was to use 'double wax rings' or a jumbo special with an embedded black cone...

About 4 years ago I was on YouTube and found this video for a product called Set-Rite and have used their toilet flange extender kits on over 60+ toilets since then. They are still not being carried in any of the big box home improvement stores...yet. I just checked and they have their video on the main page of their website...Watch Our Video Set-Rite Products Set-Rite Products

I would check out their video if you will have to raise your flange...without cutting it off...there is a better way. Here is a pic of what I show my customers how I am going to fix their toilet...

Name:  StagesSR.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  22.3 KB

Good Luck,

Handy Tom

Old 02-06-13, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
No way sandwich them IMO. ( Talking about the floor pieces) Cut the flange out, fix the floor, drill a new hole, and reinstall the flange.

Do it right, do it once.....

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-07-13 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-07-13, 06:44 AM
The 'sandwich' is a viable option...basically because these Set-Rite kits have been code-approved (tested by an independent agency) by both the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) & IAPMO (International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials) which means they were tested to create a water & gas-tight seal. That distinction was the main reason I have been using the kits all these years. Granted it would be somewhat easy to repair the floor with access from the basement...but I deal with mostly concrete slabs and replacing those flanges is not an easy fix...besides I like sandwiches...Roast beef & Swiss...and heavy on the mayo!!