Decorative tubing over toilet feed copper pipe

Old 02-06-13, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Decorative tubing over toilet feed copper pipe

We had a leaky toilet feed shut-off valve. I stopped by the depot and picked up a compression valve and tube and thought ďThis should be easy.Ē Yeah, sure. )

Only after cutting off the old valve did I notice the decorative tubing soldered over the copper pipe. This, of course, did not allow the compression nut to fit over the pipe!

Being without propane to melt the solder and having smelly children who hadnít showed when their mother told them to, I ground the living crap out of the top of the decorative tubing with my Dremel enough to get the compression nut on. However, the valve leaks a bit and Iím afraid it may give way all together.

Being clueless about all of this (as Iím sure youíve figured out) Iím wondering of the small ball of solder I can see at the bottom of the decorative tubing is likely the only place where it is attached to the copper pipe. Using my over-the-hardware-store-counter-everyday propane torch, should I be able to melt the solder and slide the decorative tubing off the pipe?

Many thanks for your time,
Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-13, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Using my over-the-hardware-store-counter-everyday propane torch, should I be able to melt the solder and slide the decorative tubing off the pipe?

Yes you should be able to remove it as described. I would think there is more solder in there then you think.

I installed those in the 80's in high end homes.

Either chrome or brass. Chrome we just tinned the copper. looked good. Brass we had to put the sleaves on.