Kohler pressure assist toilet

Old 02-08-13, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Kohler pressure assist toilet

What are some of your opinions regarding a Kohler Pressure Assisted toilet? I had a client who installed one in his house and he said it was quite noisy, and could be heard in another bathroom across the house. He removed it and installed an American Standard Champion 4 as I did for his neighbor across the street a while ago.

I am presently doing tile and hardwood in foyer, living room, and bathroom for another client. She had a puky 14" tall toilet and wanted a taller one. I told her she could get "cheap", or go with the ASC4 and be done. She said her funds wouldn't let her do the toilet now. Well, I've got the bathroom torn up and toilet out. I couldn't see putting the small one back in, so I called up the guy who pulled the assist toilet.

He said I could have it if I would get it out of his garage. God watches out for old ladies His original receipt was in the bottom of the box ($487). So before I go and install this and have a monster on her hands, what are your thoughts.

Old 02-08-13, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
They work great but like you've found out.....they are noisy.
Not a good thing for light sleepers.
If she is alone it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-08-13, 10:54 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure assist toilets are o.k. but the tanks in the inside can break Larry and you should be aware that the inner tank on Kohler and Gerber toilets have been recalled by the manufacturer of the inner tank Sloan Flushmate. Not all of the tanks have been recalled and they did fix the problem but to be sure check their website out here is a link to their website Flushmate. We have the new inner tank in our Gerber and it is kind of loud but it does flush solid waste better. To be safe though we put the inner safety strap on the new toilet that we received with a repair kit for the old inner tank. We finally had a new tank sent to us from Flushmate after a great deal of hassle since it was on warranty. There are a couple of pages you have to go through by the way for that website until you can put in the serial number.

So I wouldn't say don't do it Larry just check it out ahead of time for her safety and to protect your business too. On the non pressure assist side Mike Lawrosa told me that American Standards have a good flush although I can't say for sure since I have never tried them myself.

Old 02-09-13, 04:59 AM
Thanks, Richard and PJ. She does live alone and is 74 years old. I told her about the noise and she said "who cares". She was just ecstatic about getting a toilet she didn't have to fall onto and roll off of to get up.
I will read up on the Flushmate thing and let her know about it too, so she will be informed. Yeah, the ASC4 toilets can't be beat, IMO. I have them in my house and cabin.

Old 02-09-13, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
I will not install pressure assist toilets anymore. I had several clogging issues with them. Particularly kohler. Certain elderly are on meds that make it hard to go down if you know what I mean.

Anyway I probably would just spend $250 and buy her a ASC4...Or install her old one back. Otherwise you can get yourself in trouble installing that PA.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-09-13, 07:40 AM
Good info, Mike. Luckily she is healthy as a horse and probably not on meds. I do know how they affect you from both knee surgeries.....what a difficult time. I'll let her be the judge, even for short term until she can afford the ASC4. Her main problem was the height, so putting the old one back was not an option.

Funny, though, before she decided to let us tile the bathroom floor, she had removed the toilet due to a slight leak, taken it outside by herself, used a toothbrush and cleaned every nook and cranny in it, took the tank off, put new guts in, then put a new wax seal and bolts in, and reinstalled it. She was quite proud of herself..........me too.

Old 02-09-13, 04:03 PM
H
She sounds like a gutsy woman who really know how to take care of herself. If you can find Gerber toilets in your area my plumber up here that we have known since my Dad had his gas station likes them but doesn't install pressure assist as a rule. I had ordered the toilet from a plumbing supply place and told him that is what we want. It was the highest rated in getting rid of solid waste.

Old 02-16-13, 04:30 PM
Useless update: Got everything installed and it works flawlessly. It really wasn't as noisy as my ASC4's really. Flushes fast and furious!! She was so happy to get a tall toilet. For the price, she was doubly teary eyed!! Thanks for all the comments.

Old 02-16-13, 07:14 PM
H
Your welcome Larry I am sure too you checked out the tank and I am glad everything is working well for her. It always is nice when you can help a person out like that. Have a nice day!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: