Toilet Tank Overfill valve overfills when flushing for 2-3 sec. Help!

Old 02-14-13, 01:56 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet Tank Overfill valve overfills when flushing for 2-3 sec. Help!

Toilet tank overflow pipe question. When I flush the toilet, the flap opens and the overflow pipe fills over at the same time that it begins to fill from the fill valve hose. This happens for a few seconds and then the water dissipates as expected in the pipe. The toilet flushes powerful without any issues. But, I have had 2 instances where the toilet backed up on occasion. Why is the overflow pipe filling from the bottom up for a few seconds? How can
I stop this? I thought I would use a hanger and clear the small jet holes under the rim of the bowl. This didn't do anything at all. I shut the water valve off and flushed, still the overflow pipe overfills for a few seconds and then the toilet flushes. Any ideas why this is happening? I lowered the water level thinking this was it. No difference either. Hope someone could tell me what else I could try. Can't be the fill valve assembly either since I flushed with the water off and the same result. The fill tube overfilled with water upon flush for a few seconds at the same time as it was being filled by water from the fill valve.

Old 02-14-13, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The fill tube only goes same place the flapper discharge goes. Into the bowl.

It allows the bowl to be filled with water after the flapper closes.

Is this a new toilet? have you looked down the fill tube with a bright flashlight and look for an obstruction?

Old 02-14-13, 02:24 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pour some water in the tube without flushing the toilet. What happens then?

I thought that the tube sends the water to the rim of the bowl while the flapper sends it to the hole, at the bottom. Isn't that why the old chain toilets were stopped, because there was no water cleaning the top part of the bowl?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: