What do you screw the tub spout onto if you're using CPVC from your valve?

Old 02-17-13, 06:25 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you screw the tub spout onto if you're using CPVC from your valve?

My old shower valve is done in copper but I'm switching over to CPVC. Right now, there is copper coming out of the wall which the existing tub spout screws onto. The new tub spout is of the same attachment style. The question is, once I replace the valve, that spout stub will be CPVC and won't be rigid like the copper one. So, what's the correct way to do this?

Old 02-17-13, 06:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I'm not sure CPVC will work. Most of my house has CPVC but where the tub spout comes out of the fixture/wall there is a short piece of galvanized pipe. CPVC would have to have a male thread fitting glued on each end - there might not be enough clearance.

Old 02-17-13, 06:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I agree, CPVC is too weak for the spout. It should be either copper, or galvanized iron pipe for that part.

Old 02-17-13, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Yes most of the piping from and around the diverter are often left piped in copper...

galvanized iron pipe
Oh my.. dont use that. Please use brass if using threaded pipe....

Old 02-17-13, 11:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Mike the galvanized might not be ideal but my bath tub spout has been that way for the 21+ yrs I lived here...... I do intend to change it out if I ever get the time, money and energy to remodel my bath rm

Old 02-22-13, 08:05 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! I ended up using copper. That's how the old one was set up. I must say though, the old stub measured 4" from the wall so that's what I made the new one but as I was threading the tub spout on, It got pretty snug once it met the tile wall but wasn't straight. the only option was to continue tightening it until it was correctly aligned. This was REALLY tight and, it scored the tile a little bit. I don't care about the tile because its old and I'm going to totally remodel this bathroom soon but it got me to thinking... The length of this stub must be a really critical, really complicated measurement. What if this were my new tile wall? I would have scratched it. Is there a De Facto "right" way to do this?

Old 02-22-13, 08:41 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use a nipple known to be too long. Screw on the spout till tight. Measure the distance between the wall and the spout. remove the nipple and cut that much off or make up a new nipple using the length of test nipple minus the distance measured.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: