Weak flush: new American Standard toilet

Old 02-18-13, 10:49 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Weak flush: new American Standard toilet

All,

I've recently installed a new American Standard toilet that has a weak flush. It's a 1.28 gpm model and the second one I've installed (the other is a Kohler). It has the 'standard' Fluidmaster valve setup on it. The only real difference between the toilets is the flapper.

On this toilet, I barely get a complete flush when I simply push and release the lever. I need to hold the lever in for a two-count to get what I consider a 'full' flush.

When inspecting the tank while flushing, I've noticed that the flapper has no bouyancy when released. It basically closes immediately, stopping the flow of water from the tank. The flapper on my Kohler toilet remains bouyant for a second when the handle is released and allows enough of the tank to empty to get a full flush.

I've tried all combinations of chain length and arm adjustment, with absolutely no change to the flush. There is a float on the flapper, on a chain separate from the one that pulls up the flapper, that is adjusted as low as it can go. I think I can raise it, but I figure that would be counterproductive to helping the flapper remain bouyant.

Any thoughts? I can take a picture if it helps. Or is this just the new norm for low-flow toilets. I'm just surprised since my Kohler has a better flush "feel".

Thanks!

Old 02-18-13, 11:02 AM
J
For what it's worth, the toilet is a Town Square FloWise Right Height elongated version.

Old 02-18-13, 11:11 AM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well obviously the flapper has to stay up to allow the water to flow out. This is done by remaining bouyant. So the only thing I can suggest is a new flapper. I don't think I have seen one with an adjustment for bouyancy but perhaps others have and can chime in with their experience.

Old 02-18-13, 12:45 PM
J
For reference, a shot of the inside of the tank:

The float on the flapper should affect its buoyancy to some degree, with a higher adjustment taking some buoyancy out. This one is as close to the top of the flapper as it can be, so that doesn't seem to be an option.

Old 02-18-13, 01:28 PM
O
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can that float mechanism be removed? I would think that the height of it, above the flapper, would impede it's "time raised", which as I said, is imperitive for a good flush. All the ones I ever used, simply had the flapper with a chain connected between it and the flush handle.

Old 02-18-13, 01:57 PM
J
It's worth a shot, I'll try it when I get home tonight. I think it has a little plastic clip that holds it on to the short chain at the front of the flapper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: