Slow flush/easy clogging toilet

Old 02-20-13, 07:20 AM
Slow flush/easy clogging toilet

Hey everyone, new to the forum and looking for some assistance.

So here is the short back story. One day my toilet for the first time clogged, maybe 2-3 weeks ago. It was an easy plunger solution but for the months I have been living there I never had a problem....until last weekend. Same situation, flush the toilet and clogs but water eventually goes away after a little time. Plunger solution didn't resolve it this time but since it didn't seem like a big problem at the time and was going away for the weekend I figured no harm to hold off until I get back. Fast forward to coming back and I rush to the bathroom from the car after the trip to take care of business forgetting the situation and that's when trouble happened. Toilet horribly clogged, horrible smells, it was hard not to gag. After 2-3 hours of manually cupping out the water and flushing and plunging it seemed like I had a bigger problem then I was hoping to have. Did the dishwasher soap and warm water and nothing, used a drain snake and nothing. So finally did a combo of warm water, plunging, flushing, cupping out the water, put in warm water and plunging and like a God send the water flows through! Patting myself on the back I clean up and go back to life with my precious toilet that I wasn't going to take for granted again. Like my body knew it was safe I had to go, so I go, drop some, and before I wipe I flush and like a never ending nightmare it clogged again. This time it just took a few plunges and it cleared but I know with the way it's flushing and the water fills up half the bowl and then drains it that it will easily clog again. I need some advice on what I can do to try and resolve this.

I tried a snake but with the way my toilet is it isn't working. I don't know what toilet I have but it's tankless and the water flushes towards me rather then away if that makes any sense so when I try and use it it gets stopped within a foot. I have tried dishwasher soap and warm water before so I don't know if I should use it again or it's just a lost cause. I was thinking of getting CLR and draino max buildup remover from Home Depot to try and resolve this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-13, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Do you have children?

When the toilet clogs and you flush does it immediately start to back up or does it take a few seconds or a second flush to make it backup? How long it takes can help indicate where the clog is located. If it immediately starts to rise than it's probably in the toilet. If it starts to flush and gets half way before backing up than the clog may be a bit further down into the drain line/piping.

Don't bother with warm water, dish soap, CLR, Draino or anything else. Generally it will not work and you've just wasted time & money. What type of drain snake are you using and how did you use it?

Old 02-20-13, 08:31 AM
My guess is that you have something (a comb, toy, who knows) stuck in your toilet. It must be lodged in there pretty good. Toilet paper will accumulate and eventually clog up. You can snake it and temporarily free it, but eventually it will clog again.

Of course, that is just my guess.

I had a comb stuck in one of mine once. The only fix was a new toilet. A big rock smashing the old one was what told me what the eventual problem was. It was lodged in there good and was not going anywhere.

Old 02-20-13, 09:13 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 37
We have this happen every year or two in one of our units. We have to pull the stool to remove the offending object.

Old 02-20-13, 11:23 AM
When I flush it it drains and then fills up and then within a minute goes back down. The type of snake I used was with the coil at the tip and you push it into the drain (it didn't have the elbow thing to protect the porcelain like it does in the Home Depot video though). Any particular reason why none of the liquid cleaners would help?

No children FYI

Old 02-20-13, 11:29 AM
Old 02-20-13, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 140
Drain cleaning products rarely work because it is difficult or impossible for them to reach the clog area without being diluted by the water and there are few products (acid or akali) strong enough to dissolve toilet paper, feminine products, toy ball or plastic army man.

That type of snake is useful for clearing a sink drain line but can be very difficult to make work on a toilet. The coiled spring is very supple and can navigate sharp turns in a small pipe. In a larger pipe like a toilet drain line it can have a tendency to coil up into a wad, often in the toilet's trap. The angled tube on the end of a toilet snake is not there so much to protect the porcelain as to get the snake aimed in the right direction.