Price Pfister - Single Push/Pull Shower Faucet Repair

Old 02-21-13, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Price Pfister - Single Push/Pull Shower Faucet Repair

Great read!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...pair-help.html

The pics look identical to the cartridge i have, but i seem to have a problem that no one here has brought up. My cartridge is broken such that one portion is stuck inside the valve body. I dont know how to describe different parts of the cartridge, but it's like having one long cylindrical shape (the part shown in the pic, which is the part the handle screws into), and that shape is within another cylinder. Those two cylinders make up the cartridge. Kind of like a toilet paper roll on a roller?!?

In my case, the thinner cylinder has pulled completely out of the valve, and the larger portion of the cartridge is still inside the valve body.

I have a new cartridge, but i can't get the old part our of the valve body. If i put the thin cylinder back in the valve assembly, this doesnt help because i can just pull it out. I'm amazed that it stays in place when i turn the water back on, but i obviously can't use the shower.

Any ideas?

Last edited by lawrosa; 02-21-13 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-13, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
I will have to read that thread over again and take a look at the pics. Did you try picking it out with a pic of some sort?

I moved your post to its own thread and linked the thread you piggybacked to.

Old 03-05-13, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solved

Was gone away for a week, so I just got back to this last night. Picture attached.

I called Price Pfister. They're only recommendation was to soak a rag in hot steamy water + vinegar and place that in the hole and twist the rag. I explained that this may loosen portions, i still couldn't grab onto anything to pull it out.

I did the water + vinegar and nothing noticeably happened. I then carefully took a drill with a 5/64" bit and drilled little holes side-by-side in the black cartridge to allow me to wedge a needle nose in there. I sprayed vinegar around the cartridge for good luck.

I held the valve body firmly and was able to slowly rotate and pull out the cartridge with the needle-nose using the hole i made. Tricky, but effective

Attached Images  
Old 03-05-13, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 37 Votes on 32 Posts
So your good? All is fixed?

Good job if so.